It seems as though my amp is overheating and then shuts off to preserve itself. I have the lead wired to a 12V acc, so could having it on all the time even when the radio is not on be a problem? I get a good half hour of actual radio play then it overheats and turns back on after 10 minutes, repeating the cycle over and over.
It is mounted under my drivers seat on the carpet. The cooling ridges (heatsinks) on the sides are always very hot to the touch. It does not have a built in fan. I was thinking of having a computer fan mounted above it to run when the the car is on (acc 12 v). Or will putting spacers under the mounting points to let air under the amp be sufficient?