a little help with sub/amp...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on a little help with sub/amp... within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I am building a custom sub/amp package with an enclosure that will fit under my passenger seat. Nothing crazy, just ...

a little help with sub/amp...

I am building a custom sub/amp package with an enclosure that will fit under my passenger seat. Nothing crazy, just an 200W 8"sub with a 100-150W amp. What other components do I need to make these connect effectively to the stock stereo system without blowing anything? i dont really want to run a line directly from the battery for somethign so small. There is an option from subaru for a sub/amp that goes under the seat but its 250 and I can make something better for half that. Thanks,
    Brandon

PS. Will post pics when finished...
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Please explain your logic. Bass needs one of two things. Space, meaning a large box, or...insane power. You can get away with a small box, but you'll need massive power. 500rms watts just to start. The other option is a larger box. If you can combine both, you get
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Im not tryign to get insane bass, just trying to beef up the stock system a bit. Im making the box as big as possible to fit under the seat ( 14" X 9.5" X 6" tall). The amp is 200W, although not pure because its somewhat cheap, with RCA line in/out capability bridgeable.
    I got an amp wiring kit, with power and ground wires, battery terminal, inline fuse block, the audio interconnect wire, and speaker wires. Does the stock headset support rca cables on the back liek aftermarket headsets? I have the STi unit. Someone suggested I tap into the rear speakers for the signal, how would I do that?
    MY MODS

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    if all you wanted was a little more bass, I'd suggest a new set of components and liberal application of dynamat or similar silencer. Hope this project works out though. Let me know if you need help/advice.

If you want I can give/post the wire code/color for you to tap into.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I'm pretty sure that you'll need a line-out converter because I don't think the stock radio has pre-amp outputs. Also, I would definitely run the power wire directly to the battery. There aren't any in the stock harness large enough to effectively run the amp.

I will be running it to the battery with an 8 gauge power wire. ej20fan, what is the color/code of the wire that I tap into for the signal? Is it by the speaker itself or behind the stock headset in a harness of some sort?
    MY MODS

I know your squezzed for space probaly but go by the demensions the speaker requires it will kill the speaker and not just make it sound bad. I have the factory option one under my passenger seat in my 05. It adds to the music, it dont beat. Those small speakers are made to.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____
    |.........Beer................| ||.....'|";\,___.
    |_...__...______...__..._|_||_|__|__..._|
    ..(@).(@)........(@) (@)................(@)............

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks
    I'm pretty sure that you'll need a line-out converter because I don't think the stock radio has pre-amp outputs. Also, I would definitely run the power wire directly to the battery. There aren't any in the stock harness large enough to effectively run the amp.
    Yes you will need a line out converter unless your amp has speaker level inputs. Ususally smaller amps do have speaker level inputs...
    dude one time i tried to put the trailer bully into the coiler, and I got all messed up

you do not need a large box nor a lot of power... it honestly depends on the sub. because some subs need ins. .5 cube of space or less.. just depends. i dont know too much of wiring. but what kind of sub are you going to run ?

Yea but not smaller that whats called for.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____

well Ive had it in and its been working well for a while. Much better than the stock amp/sub I had in my old wrx. I would say its comparable to a 350W stock stereo system. I did indeed get a line out converter, spliced into my rear L/R + and -, to a 200W amp, to a 8" walmart sub....nothing fancy or expensive. I spent about 80 bucks total and its much much better than the stock sub/amp thatr sells for 250.
    MY MODS

that walmart sub is a road gear sub ??

Im gona put 2 or 3 crossfire p110s i my trunk. Hope nothing rattles to bad.
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____

Quote Originally Posted by aznburn210
    that walmart sub is a road gear sub ??

I dont remember the name and I threw the box away. But It has a red cone and delivers good mid to bass range and pounds since its right undewr the passenger seat and not all the wall in the trunk.
    MY MODS

Is it lightning audio
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||_____

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.