How to run amps, subs and speakers off stock headunit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to run amps, subs and speakers off stock headunit? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I know its probably the worst thing you can do i you are trying to upgrade your radio, but I ...

I know its probably the worst thing you can do i you are trying to upgrade your radio, but I really like the stock in dash 6cd changer, so I rather not change it.

I already have a sub in a box (Inifnity Kappa Perfect 10" DVC) and two amps, an 4 channel alpine MRVf340 and a mono-sub MRD500 I believe it is. I plan on buying a set up components up front and I am not really concerned with the rear speakers because I dont sit in the back, so I can care less how good or bad it sounds back there.

Well, how would you go about setting the system up, using the factory head unit and is it even possible or DIY with some basic wiring knowledge?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    I know its probably the worst thing you can do i you are trying to upgrade your radio, but I really like the stock in dash 6cd changer, so I rather not change it.

I already have a sub in a box (Inifnity Kappa Perfect 10" DVC) and two amps, an 4 channel alpine MRVf340 and a mono-sub MRD500 I believe it is. I plan on buying a set up components up front and I am not really concerned with the rear speakers because I dont sit in the back, so I can care less how good or bad it sounds back there.

Well, how would you go about setting the system up, using the factory head unit and is it even possible or DIY with some basic wiring knowledge?
    i bought the rca adaptor that taps into ur rear speakers and gives power to ur rca's/ now im running 2 kicker cvr 12's with a sony 800 amp but plan on adding the components to the front and rear doors, and adding another set of 6x9 it the back window. looks pretty easy to modify so it shoudnt be a problem. and as far as ur amps, power and ground to ur battery and and ur remote wire u can plug it to a 12 volt so when u turn the car is on, or like i did put a switch and turn on with a flick of a switch.

You can get what you need here...

http://www.davidnavone.com/index.htm

cool, thanks, Ill check it out and read into it.

u can get the factory harness for the optional sub and run the subs of that.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddr2000
    u can get the factory harness for the optional sub and run the subs of that.
    Yes!. Do that and don't waste your money on Hi-lo adapters. Use the hi-level or speaker input from your amp. All you have to do is run 2 sets of wires from the radio to the amp. One is for signal to the amp, the other for signal from amp to the speakers. Then connect to speaker wires and you're done. If you need the wire code/colors, let me know.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Yes!. Do that and don't waste your money on Hi-lo adapters. Use the hi-level or speaker input from your amp. All you have to do is run 2 sets of wires from the radio to the amp. One is for signal to the amp, the other for signal from amp to the speakers. Then connect to speaker wires and you're done. If you need the wire code/colors, let me know.

so wait, this sounds really easy...too easy

So what is it exactly I need? The factory sub harness...that will connect to the stock headunit, and from there I can connect my two amps, and then connect the speakers and subs to the amps?

Now, I would I modulate the channels? One amp has 4 channels, and one is the sub amp?

Is $75 for that harness how much it costs? found that price over on subaruwrxparts.com. Is taht the best price for that?

Quote Originally Posted by felo3769
    So what is it exactly I need? The factory sub harness...that will connect to the stock headunit, and from there I can connect my two amps, and then connect the speakers and subs to the amps?
    The factory sub harness is really only helpful for installing a subwoofer (where you leave all four of the speakers still connected to the factory head unit). The sub harness sends all 14 wires to the radio (like it was before you add the sub harness), but also sends the rear speaker outputs (plus ground & accessory power) to the sub.

The sub harness won't help you because it doesn't have extra wires to send the speaker outputs of your new amp back to the car's speakers.

To do what you want without cutting or splicing the factory wires, you can build something similar to Subaru's subwoofer harness -- you'll need a 'forward' wiring harness to connect to the car's radio plug and a reverse wiring harness to connect to your stock radio. Then simply:
    1. Wire the power, ground, illumination, and antenna remote control lines straight through.
    2. Send the four speaker outputs from the reverse harness (outputs from your stock radio) down new wires to your amp.
    3. Send the four speaker outputs from your amp back to the 'forward' harness (to send on to the car's speakers).
    So you're basically inserting the 4-channel amp between your stock radio and the car's speakers.

You need to be sure that the forward and reverse harnesses have all 14 wires -- many of the ones out there are missing one of the illumination wires, and without that your stock radio won't light up. See this link.

Here's a pin-out table for the car's radio connector.
    Now, [how] I would I modulate the channels? One amp has 4 channels, and one is the sub amp?
    See above for the 4-channel amp. Your subwoofer would also tap off of 2 or 4 of the speaker outputs (people usually pick the 2 rears, so they can fade the subwoofer). If the sub amp only has a one-channel input, you can either pick a left or right speaker, or look for a device that will combine left+right to send to the sub amp (without screwing up the signals going to the speaker amp).

See this thread on NASIOC for instructions on removing the stock radio, and more useful info.
    Last edited by SVXdc; 11-26-2009 at 12:47 AM.

I'm also interested in keeping the stock head unit in my '04 WRX wagon, but would like to add a subwoofer, a bit more power and better speakers- wihtout breaking the bank. Any comments on the Subaru optional speaker upgrade and subwoofer? Aftermarket packages you think are a better deal? Good experiences with audio dealers/installers in the greater Sacramento area?
    Also interested to know if anyone has tried adding part or all of the extra sound deadening package from the Saab 9-2x to their WRX? Thanks.

I'd still suggest David Navone for the adapter to run a amplifier with your stock headunit. Some amps have the line inputs that allow you to skip the adapter. Crutchfield is selling massive 2 channel or 4 channel MB Quart amps that you could use to power your sytem. These Quarts are to large to fit under your seats. JL audio seems to be most folks choice for a subwoofer. A single 10" will give you a nice fill. More subs, or larger will give you more bass. Also check out the Infinity Basslink as a amp/woofer solution. The front doors will take some 6.5" component (or coaxial) speakers. The rear speakers are once again fill so a 5.25 coaxial will be fine.

The factory subwoofer is not worthwhile.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    rears are actually 4". You can make 5.25 fit with cutting the trim, but the original size....the size I used and recommend would be a 4" mid woofer. Kove Audio makes one for their opulent system. You can buy a 4" component, get the the 6" mid as an add on since they sell them separately, and then use the 6, along with the tweets and x-overs in the door, and then have a true fill speaker in the rear. You could do the same for a 5.25 but it won't sound much different, be a little more, and require cutting. Check out Koveaudio.com for more on this.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Question Does it sound good

Does anyone currently run the Navone adapters? Either the 2 or 4 channel ones? If so how do they sound and if you had the money would you do it again or would you purchase a good aftermarket stereo and go that route?

Mike

Ps. New to the board, on my third Subie a 05 WRX.

i just installed 12 solo l7 with kenwood 850 watt amp for $442 with amp kit it knocks . go to ebay and make sure u read every thing before u bid

Quote Originally Posted by speeddr2000
    i just installed 12 solo l7 with kenwood 850 watt amp for $442 with amp kit it knocks . go to ebay and make sure u read every thing before u bid
    Did you install it with the stock head unit?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.