Does your '05 antenna suck like mine?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Does your '05 antenna suck like mine? within the Electronics/Car Audio forums, part of the Interior Mods category; I just traded my '02 RSX for an '05 WRX. Both cars do not have actual antennas just the stuff ...

Does your '05 antenna suck like mine?

I just traded my '02 RSX for an '05 WRX. Both cars do not have actual antennas just the stuff in the back window or whatever. The RSX antenna rocked. The WRX one sucks so bad. In the WRX with the stock radio my favorite station would barely come in but I could hear it. I just put in my alpine touch screen dvd and now it's even worse. I checked all of the connections and they were fine and I know it isn't the unit b/c I had it in the RSX also and it worked fine. Has anyone else experienced bad reception in the '05? Does anyone know if they sell amplified antennas?

This sucks!

Thanks

2005 WRX Sedan
    2005 Honda CRF 50
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 600
    1994 Suzuki Sidekick (Beater)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Uh yeah, ive had the same experience on mine. Do you have tint?, mine changed from good to bad after i added tint. I can still hear almost all the stations ok except for maybe one or two.

I just dont listen to the radio, fixed that problem

I've got 13% tint. I never even thought about that effecting it although I had 13% on the RSX too without any problems. My last 2 cars were Acura's and it's hard to get used to the Subaru. Definitely not as comfortable of a car to cruise as the Acura. I guess I've been spoiled but what I lost in comfort and features I gained in performance so I guess it's worth it.

2005 WRX Sedan
    2005 Honda CRF 50
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 600

Wow, my radio reception is great, and I live in very hilly WV. My tint did not affect mine, and it was metalized. Lots of people sell boosters, surely that would not be too hard to get and install.
    04 PSM WRX Stg 4-16G
    Blobeye Syndicate

Say that this is a good reason to go satellite radio. =0)

Quote Originally Posted by EGGO
    True

<<-- life begins and ends at 180 mph - CBR 1000RR

MODS

Quote Originally Posted by EGGO
    I've thought about it but I'm not really in the car enough to justify paying the service fee. I know it's cheap but I have a beater that I drive when the weather sucks and I ride my motorcycle when the weather is nice so the WRX is only gonna see weekend sunshine mostly. I just wanted to be able to hear the local new rock station cuz they do all of the concert advertisements and stuff for the bands I like.

2005 WRX Sedan
    2005 Honda CRF 50
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 600

I get bad reception too. Would tint really make that much of a difference? I dotn remember when I didnt have tint since it was only like a day, but yea, the reception on some stations sucks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the owners manual says something about Antenna safe tint vs normal tint.

The dealer did my tint before I got the car, then I got XM so I don't use the normal antenna much.

Yea the reception isnt the best. Not sure if my old RSX got much better reception. Im sure Acura used a higher quality antenna.

I also think that the lack of a rear wiper hurts the reception in bad weather. W/ the RSX i could wipe some off and that is one less element to distort the waves.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

The metal coated tint will greatly reduce your reception if the content is more than 50%. But, the regular dye tint does not compare to the quality of the metal tint. Pick your poison.
    Last edited by WShade; 05-31-2005 at 05:36 PM.

<<-- life begins and ends at 180 mph - CBR 1000RR

MODS

On recent Imprezas with the antenna in the rear glass, there is an antenna amplifier in one of the rear pillars. You must make sure that your head unit supplies +12V on pin 14 of the radio connector -- that line is the "remote on" to activate the antenna amp.

If you installed an after-market head unit that does not have a "power antenna" output wire then use a wire for "remote on" for a speaker amp. If your head unit doesn't have this either, then connect the +12V accessory line (pin 10) to pin 14.

See this sticky thread on NASIOC for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by SVXdc
    On recent Imprezas with the antenna in the rear glass, there is an antenna amplifier in one of the rear pillars. You must make sure that your head unit supplies +12V on pin 14 of the radio connector -- that line is the "remote on" to activate the antenna amp.

If you installed an after-market head unit that does not have a "power antenna" output wire then use a wire for "remote on" for a speaker amp. If your head unit doesn't have this either, then connect the +12V accessory line (pin 10) to pin 14.

See this sticky thread on NASIOC for more info.

Sweet post man. Thanks a lot!!!

2005 WRX Sedan
    2005 Honda CRF 50
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 600

I think I've turned on my radio once in the 8 months Ive had my 05'
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.