Griot's Garage?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Griot's Garage? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm ashamed to admit it, but my precious rex hasn't had the full treatment in many months. Swirls and scratches ...

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar

Griot's Garage?

I'm ashamed to admit it, but my precious rex hasn't had the full treatment in many months. Swirls and scratches are starting show and the paint is feeling rather grainy to the touch. I plan on doing the standard claybar, polishe(s), wax process but I haven't totally decided on what brand of products I want to use this time. In the past it has always been Meguiars three step system, but I would like to try out something new this time.

I have been looking at Griot's products and I think I would like to possibly try out their polishing and waxing system using their random orbital. I know their products are a tad bit on the expensive side, but pretty much all professional detailing products are that pricey.

Anyways, I was just wondering if any of you guys have experience with Griot's products. What are your impressions? Reccomendations? etc.

Thanks people.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I havent used any of their products yet but I just ordered and recieved their Fine Hand Polish in the mail the other day. Ive heard nothing but great things about them and I plan on getting the random orbital wax and polish package as soon as I get some money.
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

i hear good things about Griot's, and I think Cavallino swears by the stuff.

Yeah I use all Griots stuff. It works great, best stuff I've tried yet and the company is nice to deal with too.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Awesome. Thanks guys.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    Yeah I use all Griots stuff. It works great, best stuff I've tried yet and the company is nice to deal with too.
    What other systems have you used besides Mcguiars? Have you used 3m's perfect it line?

Also do you own a buffer Cav?

Reason I ask is that I am always looking for good polishing systems for when I rub out cars after I paint. I have a 7" buffer that has been by far one of the best investments I have ever made. As such I do all my polishing that way and was curious if you did the same.

Systems I have used:

3M perfect it----good stuff
    Farecla G series---its alright
    Mcguiars-----Alright but too many bottles and doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    What other systems have you used besides Mcguiars? Have you used 3m's perfect it line?

Also do you own a buffer Cav?

Reason I ask is that I am always looking for good polishing systems for when I rub out cars after I paint. I have a 7" buffer that has been by far one of the best investments I have ever made. As such I do all my polishing that way and was curious if you did the same.

Systems I have used:

3M perfect it----good stuff
    Farecla G series---its alright
    Mcguiars-----Alright but too many bottles and doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them.
    I've used meguiars, zaino, and a few eagle one an turtle wax products. The eagle one and turtle wax are the basic stuff that I started with years ago, there your usual auto zone crap. Zaino was about as good as griots in terms of polishing/waxing etc. However griots makes a lot of extra products like stainless steel cleaner, and under carriage cleaner and vinyl/rubber dressing so it makes more sense for me to order from one place. The only reason i still use meguiars stuff is because I bought large bulk quantities of it so it'll be a while before I run out, but when I do I'll be switching to all griots. The nice thing about griot's stuff is if you have a question about a product or if you need a recommendation on a product to solve a specific issue you can call or email and they'll help you out.

I do not own a buffer. I've been happy enough with hand polish it take a while but I like doing it and the car doesn't have swirls or any marks that need or could be fixed with a buffer so I see no reason to buy one.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    Buffer is the only way to do a true polish. After using a buffer I'll never go back to hand.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Buffer is the only way to do a true polish. After using a buffer I'll never go back to hand.
    I will probably invest in a random orbital very soon. My car has some nasty scratches and swirls that will be a major pita to remove by hand. Hopefully a buffer will make the job quicker and easier. I hope.

Yeah Ill probably buy one eventually. In the mean time it looks ok without one so "if it aint broke don't fix it"
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    I will probably invest in a random orbital very soon. My car has some nasty scratches and swirls that will be a major pita to remove by hand. Hopefully a buffer will make the job quicker and easier. I hope.
    It will but you must know how to use a buffer properly or you can screw your paint up royally.

Get your paint too hot and it will blister.
    Stay on an edge too long and you'll buff the paint right off to bare metal.
    Buff on too hot of a surface and you'll discolor/stain/or scratch the clear coat.

Gotta be on your toes at all times.

Best to learn to buff on a junker you are trying to remove oxidation from. That way when you screw up you aren't so sad.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

It will but you must know how to use a buffer properly or you can screw your paint up royally.

Get your paint too hot and it will blister.
    Stay on an edge too long and you'll buff the paint right off to bare metal.
    Buff on too hot of a surface and you'll discolor/stain/or scratch the clear coat.

Gotta be on your toes at all times.

Best to learn to buff on a junker you are trying to remove oxidation from. That way when you screw up you aren't so sad.
    I actually heard from somewhere that random orbitals were easy to use?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    I actually heard from somewhere that random orbitals were easy to use?
    Yes and no.

The random orbitals are easier to use but far less effective, and based on the link that was given, that orbital costs the same as my buffer did. Ask any paint and body man and they will take the buffer 10x over the orbital.

Difference:

Orbital has a pseudo clutch mechanism that causes it to osscillate versus rotate with spindle revolution.

A buffer is a direct drive connection to the spindle, so a spindle revolution translates into (depending on pad size) a direct fraction of a pad revolution.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

a Porter Cable 7424 will take care of all your polishing needs. I only see need for a rotary buffer in attempting to fix serious scratches (like if the car was keyed or something). Even then, I would advise you get it taken care of professionally. As for a PC, it is very easy to use, very effective.

I Support ClubWRX
    I dunno. I had a craftsman random orbit before I learned to use a buffer and it sucked.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.