Might start doing this for money...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Might start doing this for money... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I always get a lot of people asking me if I detail other people's cars after they look at mine, ...

Might start doing this for money...

I always get a lot of people asking me if I detail other people's cars after they look at mine, and if I'd do theirs. So, I've been playing around with the idea of starting my own little detail business at home.

Any thoughts/tips/advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if u can do it & do it well, why not make a little xtra money

Banned
    I've always wondered what it would take to break into the performance industry. I think you could have more succsess with fabricating somthing like a quiet ERZ exahust.

Quote Originally Posted by Not-EWRX View Post
    I've always wondered what it would take to break into the performance industry. I think you could have more succsess with fabricating somthing like a quiet ERZ exahust.
    Im not quite sure what you're talking about. I am talking about starting a small detailing business, nothing really to do with vehicle performance
    or making money by fabricating exhausts lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    Im not quite sure what you're talking about. I am talking about starting a small detailing business, nothing really to do with vehicle performance
    or making money by fabricating exhausts lol
    Haha +1
    1999 BMW 328i - R.I.P.
    2004 JBP WRX - R.I.P.
    2007 SWP STi
    And Loving Every Minute Of It.

Banned
    I just don't think you will make any money thats all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Seems like you'd have a hard time making decent money for all the time invested - unless you turned it into a full time gig.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Seems like you'd have a hard time making decent money for all the time invested - unless you turned it into a full time gig.
    Dunno about you folks, but I live in Morris county in northern NJ, where the air is permeating with rich folks willing to pay over $100 for an hour long detail, not caring what you do to their car as long as it shines. It's a quick and easy buck, as well as something you enjoy doing- why not!

Quote Originally Posted by //Jeff3 View Post
    Dunno about you folks, but I live in Morris county in northern NJ, where the air is permeating with rich folks willing to pay over $100 for an hour long detail, not caring what you do to their car as long as it shines. It's a quick and easy buck, as well as something you enjoy doing- why not!
    There's a detailing biz right down the road from my house. I know the guy and see him every so often so i talk to him and he tells me about all the cars he's detailed and stuff. He detailed a GT3 recently and the rate for exotics in his shop is like $400+ and he said the dude gave him a $1000 tip .

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    I always get a lot of people asking me if I detail other people's cars after they look at mine, and if I'd do theirs. So, I've been playing around with the idea of starting my own little detail business at home.

Any thoughts/tips/advice?
    Don't eat the wax.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

I'm giving it a shot

ODJ
    Judging from the pictures of the cars you've detailed, I'd hire/recommend you. I see the "mobile detailing" vehicles around sometimes and I wonder whether or not they make any decent money. I'd guess, at the very least, your detailing business would pay for itself. Just imagine, every detailing product you purchase is now a tax write-off!
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

I've been doing that for a while on the side, I have a normal job but I detail a few cars on the weekend here or there. I wouldn't really call mine a "business" (since I only do a handful of cars a week at most) but more of a hobby that makes money. I usually just do full detailing jobs i.e. wash, clay, polish, wax, carnuba. I wouldn't use it as my only source of income because once winter comes around it tends to dry up quite a bit. It's nice on the side though, theres a lot of nice cars in the neighborhood, so i don't usually have to travel far and I like doing it. Plus I can make a little mod money slowly but surely from it.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 06-22-2007 at 10:32 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by barrywrx View Post
    If you can do it, do it great you can make a lot more money.

Blue-sun@nasioc is a local detailing ***** and I would guess he makes about 30/hr detailing cars on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by barrywrx View Post
    2x Go For It

Go for it. Im going out of town alot this summer so I couldnt get a real job so Im detailing cars around the neighborhood and for friends to make a little extra money and I usually end up working about 3-4 hrs on one car and making $60-$75 and I usually do about 3-4 cars a week. I dont have a machine buffer or anything so its nothing too extravagant but everyones that Ive done so far have been extremely pleased and have told their friends and coworkers and it has grown from there. But I know you have a machine polisher and the right products, so definitely go for it, theres alot of money in it if you do it well.
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast