washing my wrx

This is a discussion on washing my wrx within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys. I'm new here and have some questions that you all can hopefully answer. One thing I can't stand ...

washing my wrx

Hi guys. I'm new here and have some questions that you all can hopefully answer. One thing I can't stand are cars with dust and pollen and dirt and all other kinds of stuff all over them, so I try to keep my cars very clean. Im sure lots of people on here feel the same way about keeping their cars clean, and was wondering if you had any good washing/waxing suggestions. my friend has one of those attachments that you put on a hose and use to wash your car so (as the ads say, at least) you get spotless air drying. anyone used these types of things? i also have a friend who washes the hell out of his car, and whose paint suffers as a result. what do you guys do, and have you had any experiences that you think might be unique to the wrx's/subaru's paint? i certainly don't want to over wash my car, but a good shine and clean exterior is very important to me.
    2006 OBP WRX TR
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Just don't do it!

Going against the owner's manual of the car is like nailing a hooker without a rubber - it's not intelligent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I wash my car with blue dawn dish soap or something high in ammonia. Then I use a meguiars clay bar kit then I wash it with blue dawn again. Then I use a product made by blue coral for professional detailling called SEALTEK to paint seal the paint. Then I do 2 coats of meguiars NXT (or your favorite synthetic wax) then 2 coats of Meguiars Gold Class (or your favorite carnuba wax). Then I would simply wipe down my car with a microfiber towell, and if it gets a tad dirty I use meguiars NXT quick detail. After all that I wash it once in awhile with Meguiars Gold Class car shampoo.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

wow thanks for the advice. sounds like you like to keep her looking sharp too.
    2006 OBP WRX TR
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    Just don't do it!

Going against the owner's manual of the car is like nailing a hooker without a rubber - it's not intelligent.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yea I just had my whole car repainted so I want to keep that investment a good one

A full detail for me looks like this:

1. Wash with meguiars NXT
    2. Claybar with griots claybar and nxt quick detailer
    3. Polish with griots fine hand polish
    4. Wax with meguiars NXT
    5. Wax with Griots Carnuba wax

I use the mr. clean autodry (but not with the mr.clean soap that stuff is really bad it will strip wax immediately). It doesn't save you from drying but it does allow you to spray on soapy water rather than a bucket. I wouldn't sue dish soap to often some people use it occasionally when doing a full detailing job but it will strip your wax.

Towels etc:
    1. griots microfiber wash pad
    2. griots microfiber drying towels
    3. meguiars microfiber towels (for buffing wax)
    4. Meguiars wax applicator

For other things I use:
    1. Griots vinyl and rubber dressing (for tires)
    2. Meguiars NXT metal polish (exhaust tips etc)
    3. Griots stainles steal cleaner (water based aerosol, works on lots of metals)
    4. Simple green for wheels and some under hood stuff
    5. Griots speed shine for quick touch ups here and there

Heres how it should look after
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-18-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ pretty good

I take mine to the 3$ car wash, takes about 5 min.
    CGM

You might be interested in checking out the car detailing forum.. not sure where it's been moved to :P

A full detail for me usually isn't much different than a normal wash except I put much more effort into it and get every single nook and cranny.

I usually hose down the car pretty thoroughly, Meguiars Gold Class soap it, scrub it down, hose it off, and dry it for a basic wash. Invest in a cheap wheel brush and some simple green or some wheel cleaner and a couple nice towels for drying/detailing and you should be A-ok

*sigh* I live on a dirt road...hence the crystal gray metallic

And I use Meguiar's Gold Class stuff too...works good.

keeping up on your paint is pretty easy maintenance and will reduce youre chances of swirls and scratches typically caused by car washes.

Heres what you should do as routine (as needed/ weekly/ etc) basis. Washing using a genuine sheepskin washmitt. IF you can, use a 2 bucket wash method. One for clean rinse water, the other for your soapy solution. Use a grit guard in one or both buckets. Prespray your car w/ a bug & tar remover to get any tough particles loosened up. Dip your wash mitt in the soapy water and wash one section at a time. Rinse off in your clean/soon to be dirty bucket, then rewet in your clean soapy water bucket. Once your done w/ the vehicle, dry off using a microfiber waffle weave drying towel. (might need 2). Then use a quick detailer such as poorboys spray n gloss or clearkotes quick shine. Both are great. They'll add slickness, gloss and depth.
    Then try to wax every 5-6 weeks w/ a carnuba, or a little longer if using a sealant.
    Clay and polish only on an as-needs basis. should only be 1 or 2x per year.
    hope this helps.. lemme know if i can answer anything else