Clay/Wax question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Clay/Wax question within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car is almost a year old, it has never been clayed or waxed. I know this is probably heresy ...

Clay/Wax question

My car is almost a year old, it has never been clayed or waxed. I know this is probably heresy to most of you on this section of the forum but o well. I plan on claying it and waxing it sometime soon though so there is some hope.

What kind of clay/wax should I use and can it be bought at like Autozone?

Do I need a buffer to apply the wax or can I just use elbow grease (I currently have no swirls or anything conducive of needing a good wax)?

Anything else I should know?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i used meguires clay bar kit thingy from autozone, im sure mothers' kit is just as good if not the same thing. then i used turtle wax for teh max shinez yo! but in all seriousness i just used the applicator thingy that comes with it and try to get a good buffer, for some reason mine sucked and the bad kept flying off the holder and make sure you dont leave any residue because its a PITA to get off later specially off all the black surfaces such as the door jams and roof rails.

but other than that, make her shine!
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

The clay bar should remove any contaminants from the paint surface so elbow is not really necessary when waxing the car afterwards. You can use a buffer but be easy with the pressure of the buffer and paint.

I used a Mother's kit a little over a month and the results were great. Just keep the paint wet with the spray included in the kit while working with the clay bar.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Banned
    I, for some reason, go nuts when it comes to detailing.

These products can be purchased anywhere. Autozone, Pepboys, etc...

Car Wash: Mothers Car Wash. I wash it twice by hand (with the mit).

Claybar: Meguiars Clay Bar Kit. Comes with a lil bottle of Meguiars Spray Detail and 2 clay bars. I always clay bar it twice. I'll do the whole car, and start all over again. Dont want to miss any spots.

Wax: Zymol Wax: I found this wax to be the best. Ive been using is almost 2 years now.

And there is occasions that after I wash, clay, and wax it, I'll take the Meguiars Quick Detailer, and go over it. Makes the car really pop. When the sun hits it, my god its blinding.

In the end, I spend about 6 hours just on the exterior.

Also, from what I heard, Zaino products are phenomenal.

Zaino Link: http://www.zainostore.com/

Also there is a member here who does some great work:
    My last full detail of 2006? (warning: LOTS of pics)

So sounds like I really will need a buffer?

A buffer makes things easier but it unless you have scratches etc. that need extra power to be buffed out you probably can get by without one. A buffer certainly isn't a bad thing to have.

I've never used a buffer and I've been happy enough with the results.

FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I was hoping i could get by without one for two reasons.

I don't wax my car often and I don't see this changing in the future unless it is needed often.

I'm broke and buying a buffer to use once a year doesn't sound like a good idea.

Banned
    Ive never used one. I dont feel the need to use one. Doing it yourself, with your hands is much better. Ive see some crappy buff jobs, and thats the reasoning for me doing it by hand.

What would I put wax on with?

Soft cotton?
    Last edited by H.Tx; 05-18-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Tx View Post
    What would I put wax on with?

Soft cotton?
    Usually wax comes with an applicator pad. (I have a box of 100 in my garage ) and buff it off with a good microfiber towel.
    FORZA FERRARI

Will liquid wax come with applicator?

and clay kit comes with lubricant?

Quote Originally Posted by H.Tx View Post
    Will liquid wax come with applicator?

and clay kit comes with lubricant?
    Yes (I suggest meguiars NXT wax)

Yes it should however the lubricant is just quick detailer so you can just pick that up if it doesn't have it.
    FORZA FERRARI

if you're not looking to do any defect correction, you wont need a machine. Stick to automagic/fine grade clay or elastic clay. After claying, rewash to remove any clay residue. I would then suggest doing a clearkote application. Vanilla moose, red moose, carnuba moose. You'll love that combo

Check here for more car care info.
    http://autopia.org/

Stg 2 06STI
    02/04 WRX MSPT Tuned - 18g(DEAD)

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"-Vizzini

i spend so much money on cleaning products its not even funny. i don't leave the auto parts shop without spending at leats 50 bucks on cleaning crap every 2 months. whats worse is my car isn't garage kept..so all the dust and pollen/rain just dirty it up after i wash.

i hate having a black car with crappy paint

this is how i wash my car...

wash with turtle wax car wash (i only bought it because it as a pic of a bugeye wrx on it)

i work top to bottom

i use a different wash mit for the top of the car and a different one for the bottom of the car (wheel wells, side skirts, bumpers) constantly rinsing the mit. edit:2 different buckets of water/soap for top of the car and the bottom of the car

then i take the nozzle off my hose and pour the water over the entire surface of the car letting it sheet off

(i'm leaving wheels out, thats another story)

then i take the shop vac and put it on reverse and blow out all the water from the cracks and cerveses of the car

i use a microfiber towel/sponge thing i found at walmart to dry whatever little water is left on the car.

open all the doors, trunk, hood, gas thing (can't think of the name)

and use a different microfiber sponge thing to dry and wipe

use another clean microfiber towel to use the detailer to polish up the car

bust out the clay bar and spray and rub, spray and rub

now get zymoil hd clenser and clean up the entire car with that

then wax with zymoil de carbon (great for black cars) x2

7 hours later...clean somewhat swril free wrx

claybar and wax thing is done ones every 4 months

i think the key to keeping swirls down to a min. is using good quality CLEAN microfiber towels
    Last edited by abhiwan; 05-19-2007 at 10:53 PM.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.