To clay bar or not to clay bar...

This is a discussion on To clay bar or not to clay bar... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That is my question. I have an 05 OBP Sedan and I was planning on using my buddy's Porter Cable ...

To clay bar or not to clay bar...

That is my question.

I have an 05 OBP Sedan and I was planning on using my buddy's Porter Cable orbital today to start getting some of my swirls out. After I was done washing it, I wasn't too pleased with how the hood looked, so I hit it with some Meguiar's cleaner wax. After I took that off, I ran my hand over the hood and noticed that it was a little grainy. I wasn't planning on using a clay bar cause my car isn't that old, and it has less than 5000 miles on it.

Any advice? I don't want to use the Scratch-X and the orbital on top of imperfections, do I? Or will that take them out?
    Last edited by TWBarrett; 05-02-2007 at 06:48 AM.
    --Thomas Barrett--
    2005 OBP 2.5RS Sedan 5sp - 11k miles - Blobeye Syndicate #37
    ......IN THE BODY SHOP (she got punched in the eye)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWBarrett View Post
    That is my question.

I have an 05 OBP Sedan and I was planning on using my buddy's Porter Cable orbital today to start getting some of my swirls out. After I was done washing it, I wasn't too pleased with how the hood looked, so I hit it with some Meguiar's cleaner wax. After I took that off, I ran my hand over the hood and noticed that it was a little grainy. I wasn't planning on using a clay bar cause my car isn't that old, and it has less than 5000 miles on it.

Any advice? I don't want to use the Scratch-X and the orbital on top of imperfections, do I? Or will that take them out?
    Th clay bar will remove graininess (bonded surface contaminants). Clay bar is not hard on the paint and it doesn't matter if the car is new or old. When I bought me car it had been on the lot for a few months and the next day I clay bared and waxed it.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Yeah, I just clay barred my car last weekend. It helped soo much, you will not be disappointed. My car is an 06 OBP WRX with 3800 miles for perspective.
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by branemaniac View Post
    Yeah, I just clay barred my car last weekend. It helped soo much, you will not be disappointed. My car is an 06 OBP WRX with 3800 miles for perspective.
    Did you go in for your 3000 mile service? What was done if so? Thanks.
    New England F4

Hawk-Eye Alliance # 0711

Quote Originally Posted by RallyRx View Post
    Did you go in for your 3000 mile service? What was done if so? Thanks.

Actually, when my car hit 300 miles, I took it in for its first oil change to get all of the crap out. No biggie, it was free... Then, I took it in for a second change at 1000 miles and it was fine... Then at 2700 miles, I had a rubbing exhaust that I had them look at, and they rotated my tires, and they did the third oil change. I have no idea what all they did other than that, but I think im doing a good thing, and it cant hurt to change your oil more...
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

I also would clay it if you have the time - it certainly won't hurt the paint, and it should help remove some of the graininess and contaminants from your paint. I've been flat out amazed with how much clay has helped my car (but then again my car also has 105k miles on it, too.)

I just claybared my 8 month old WRX and was amazed at how much came out of the paint! I would definitely claybar if you are going to take the time to polish and wax.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

A car with 5 miles on it can need a clay bar. Keep in mind how long some cars sit before you buy them. And also consider that crappy wash job they do when you buy a car!!

Clay is an abrassive so be careful whenever it is being utilized. It may look like it's helping, while adding swirls to your car.
    THIS IS CAKE TOWN!!

Quote Originally Posted by BSRT2004 View Post
    A car with 5 miles on it can need a clay bar. Keep in mind how long some cars sit before you buy them. And also consider that crappy wash job they do when you buy a car!!
    +1 my car was built in december of 05 and I bought it in July I know it was on the lot for a least 5 months from the delivery papers. Thats a pretty long time for it to sit outside.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.