Bad water spots?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bad water spots? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i saw some really nasty water spots all over my car today, so i decided to just give it ...

Bad water spots?

So i saw some really nasty water spots all over my car today, so i decided to just give it a quick wash, soap, water, than dry with a lamb skin towel. The damn spots are still there and will not go away, I waxed my car last week, and i didnt notice these spots as bad as they are right now. Anyone have any idea on how the hell to get rid of them? They are all over the car, heres a close up shot i took of them.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-3200-300.html

Will that stuff work?
    Last edited by Slider; 04-25-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nasty.

I doubt the clay will get rid of them completely.

I would polish those out. I can recommend some polish, do you have a porter cable buffer or anything?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    Nasty.

I doubt the clay will get rid of them completely.

I would polish those out. I can recommend some polish, do you have a porter cable buffer or anything?
    What would cause something like this to be that severe. I've had water spots on parts of the car at times but usually when I was it next time they are gone.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    What would cause something like this to be that severe. I've had water spots on parts of the car at times but usually when I was it next time they are gone.
    Well the water at my house comes from a well, but my parents have like a 5,000 filter system, I may have parked under a really ****ty tree or something, but my friend told me to try Meguiers Gold Class Wax in the black bottle, i picked some up today, washed my car, clay barred it, and waxed it with the wax, and the wax took i would say about 95% of the spots out, and what it didn't take out there is a really faint outline you cant really see unless you look for them. I still don't know how the hell my car got like that.
    Semper Fi

Military Militia #11

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Well the water at my house comes from a well, but my parents have like a 5,000 filter system, I may have parked under a really ****ty tree or something, but my friend told me to try Meguiers Gold Class Wax in the black bottle, i picked some up today, washed my car, clay barred it, and waxed it with the wax, and the wax took i would say about 95% of the spots out, and what it didn't take out there is a really faint outline you cant really see unless you look for them. I still don't know how the hell my car got like that.
    As a former Meguires gold calss user, the spots are still there and will come back again in a month.

You need to polish them out with a buffer and several stages of polish. Only way.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    As a former Meguires gold calss user, the spots are still there and will come back again in a month.

You need to polish them out with a buffer and several stages of polish. Only way.
    +1, you don't really have a choice, it's going to take quite a bit of work to get rid of the spots....just be thankful your car isn't black, you'd be having a complete FIT

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by REXtard04 View Post
    +1, you don't really have a choice, it's going to take quite a bit of work to get rid of the spots....just be thankful your car isn't black, you'd be having a complete FIT

<-------- owns OBP
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

OOPS, sorry, I wasn't directing that comment at you, it was for SLIDER who originally asked the question....my mistake, I should have clarified that...I was agreeing with your comment and didn't distinguish who I was addressing

Thanks guys, I'll probably have to go and get some polish, whats good?

I also don't own a buffer. So ill be doing it by hand
    Semper Fi

Military Militia #11

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll probably have to go and get some polish, whats good?
    You have a buffer? You'll need one.

The meguiars series of polishes work pretty good.
    As do 3m's perfect-it line.

you'll need a wool bonnet and a foam polishing pad. If you have never buffed before, move very fast stay away from the edges, buff at 1250ish rpm, keep a water bottle handy to wet the surface, don't stay in one spot too long.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

He doesn't have a buffer, and I doubt he'll want to run out and get one just for this.

A buffer will yield better results, but I think if you do it by hand, it should take care of it. Maybe Cavallino can chime in here since he polishes by hand, I think he uses Griots Hand Polish if I'm not mistaken.

Don't forget to wax after you polish.
    Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    He doesn't have a buffer, and I doubt he'll want to run out and get one just for this.

A buffer will yield better results, but I think if you do it by hand, it should take care of it. Maybe Cavallino can chime in here since he polishes by hand, I think he uses Griots Hand Polish if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck.
    *shudders* at the thought of how much work that is by hand. Good god.

Give you an idea, its like waxing your car 10x in one day. Given the fact that you aren't gonna wanna polish just one part of the car.

I ran out and bought a buffer and it has been one of the best automotive purchases I have ever made. That buffer has made me more money, I coulda bought it about 5x over now. You will inevitably have friends/family with the need to utilize your services. At $50 a job, 3 jobs and your buffer was free.

Well if you do it by hand you'll have awesome sized forearms, carpal tunnel and have killed an entire day polishing your car.

FYI it takes me around 2.5-3.5 hours with a buffer depending on the size of the car to:
    Wash
    buff with 2-3 stages of polish
    and wax

Count on at least 2x that long.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 04-26-2007 at 03:25 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Good luck.
    Yep griots hand polish is good stuff. It's a seems to get most imperfections out pretty well.

A couple years ago I parked on the curb in front of someones house and they decided to hose of their dirty sidewalk onto my car and by the time I got to the car they were all dried on. It had some major waterspots but it got them all out with some work.

Buffer might make it easier though and its certainly not something thats bad to have around.

Wouldn't hurt to clay it too. The last time I did a full wash, clay, polish, wax, and carnuba wax I think it took about 7-8 hourse give or take. I tend to work kind slow though
    Last edited by cavallino333; 04-26-2007 at 02:54 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

1z is great stuff to use by hand fwiw.

But anyway, try washing w/ a vinegar/water mixture first. No need to jump right into polishing if you dont have to. If the spots havent been there long, they may not have etched into the clear which would be great for you. If they have, then yea, you'll have to go at it w/ a polish to remove em.
    I recently had a guy pick up some polish w/ sealant from me and did a whole car by hand. Turned out phenomenal, but I sure wouldnt want to do a whole car by hand.
    Good luck w/ it... let us know how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    *shudders* at the thought of how much work that is by hand. Good god.

Give you an idea, its like waxing your car 10x in one day. Given the fact that you aren't gonna wanna polish just one part of the car.

I ran out and bought a buffer and it has been one of the best automotive purchases I have ever made. That buffer has made me more money, I coulda bought it about 5x over now. You will inevitably have friends/family with the need to utilize your services. At $50 a job, 3 jobs and your buffer was free.

Well if you do it by hand you'll have awesome sized forearms, carpal tunnel and have killed an entire day polishing your car.

FYI it takes me around 2.5-3.5 hours with a buffer depending on the size of the car to:
    Wash
    buff with 2-3 stages of polish
    and wax

Count on at least 2x that long.

I understand what you're saying, I also own a buffer, love it, and would never polish any other way personally. But all I'm saying is I don't think the OP has a few-hundred dollar problem here. IF he is into detailing and plans on getting into the hobby,maybe he already is, i dont know, and thinks he'll get enough use out of a buffer in the future, then sure, I'd recommend he gets a 7424 right now.
    Last edited by Redline927; 04-29-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast