Bad water spots? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Bad water spots? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 302@12psi What would cause something like this to be that severe. I've had water spots on parts ...

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    What would cause something like this to be that severe. I've had water spots on parts of the car at times but usually when I was it next time they are gone.
    Well water/acid rain/hard water. If you let it dry up on there it will etch the paint and it will need to be compounded. Ive seen it so bad that only 95% of it can be removed without damaging the paint.

You can use a PC orbital with different polishes but it will take forever. If you know how to use a high speed/rotary buffer i would do it that way with a wool pad and some compound. The rotary buffer can be very dangerous to your paint if you do not know how to use one. If you dont know how i would recommend taking it to a reputable detail shop. I wouldnt pay more than $300 dollars for a compound on the whole car. We do a 5 step compound on cars for $285 and takes about 10hrs with breaks and all inbetween steps. Goodluck man!

Willie
    Snitches get stitches!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    He doesn't have a buffer, and I doubt he'll want to run out and get one just for this.

A buffer will yield better results, but I think if you do it by hand, it should take care of it. Maybe Cavallino can chime in here since he polishes by hand, I think he uses Griots Hand Polish if I'm not mistaken.

Don't forget to wax after you polish.
    Good luck.
    By hand?!?!?! Dude i would do it by hand if i had a year to spend on buffing a car.lol! Its far more labor intensive to do it by hand. Using a buffer doesnt always get them out i cant imagine doing it by hand.
    Snitches get stitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Imprezademics View Post
    Well water/acid rain/hard water. If you let it dry up on there it will etch the paint and it will need to be compounded. Ive seen it so bad that only 95% of it can be removed without damaging the paint.

You can use a PC orbital with different polishes but it will take forever. If you know how to use a high speed/rotary buffer i would do it that way with a wool pad and some compound. The rotary buffer can be very dangerous to your paint if you do not know how to use one. If you dont know how i would recommend taking it to a reputable detail shop. I wouldnt pay more than $300 dollars for a compound on the whole car. We do a 5 step compound on cars for $285 and takes about 10hrs with breaks and all inbetween steps. Goodluck man!

Willie
    Funny thing is, i didnt let water sit on the car. I had to car for a week beforei noticed this.

Anyway i waxed my car 2 times in 3 weeks with McGuires gold Class wax and i dont see a single spot anymore. And that was a month ago.

What i did was clay bar the car, wash it, wax it, polish it, waxed it again and that seems to have done it, they havent come back.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Funny thing is, i didnt let water sit on the car. I had to car for a week beforei noticed this.

Anyway i waxed my car 2 times in 3 weeks with McGuires gold Class wax and i dont see a single spot anymore. And that was a month ago.

What i did was clay bar the car, wash it, wax it, polish it, waxed it again and that seems to have done it, they havent come back.
    Hmmm! Then it could not have been hard water spots. Must have been something else. Water spots from unfiltered well water does not just wax off. Anyway, im glad to hear that they are not on there anymore. Something like that would ruin my month. Take it easy!

Willie
    Snitches get stitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you wash before using the clay bar?

^^ yes, without a doubt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12