ugly bug stains...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on ugly bug stains... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i bought my car used, to start this off. The front of my car is spoted by these bug marks ...

ugly bug stains...

i bought my car used, to start this off.
    The front of my car is spoted by these bug marks that won't come off..
    I tried waxing it, scratch-x it, turtle wax bug remover..etc..no good..
    I guess these were from the previous owner lack of washing, letting these bugs bake in the sun and stain to the paint. The bug marks stayed soo long that it became white..

Does anyone have any idea how to get these off.?
    Last edited by 04blckwrx; 04-12-2007 at 03:37 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i duno if its the bugs..but they seem to be attracted to my subby..its a pita to get them all off. if you complete this task..post sum pics.because u r worthy of a
    Lokin&Tokin

2005 STi trunk + wing OBP 4 sale. pm me.

Possibly a claybar or simple green? I have no idea, do you have any pictures of the spots?
    2005 CGM STi

The paint probably needs to be claybared and then polished with a mild abrasive. That should remove the marks. Someone else chime in with what kind of polish to use, I am assuming you will be doing this by hand? Or do you have a buffer?
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by LIV 2 RLY View Post
    The paint probably needs to be claybared and then polished with a mild abrasive.

ding ding.

This is a good idea for a new thread...an in depth how to or something...i think lots of people will find it useful, I hear this question often.

I have never used a polish, what would be something good to use to buff out swirl marks and minor imperfections without being too harsh?

Sorry to hijack, but I figure we can both get something out of this.
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I have never used a polish, what would be something good to use to buff out swirl marks and minor imperfections without being too harsh?

Sorry to hijack, but I figure we can both get something out of this.
    how bad of swirl marks are we talking? pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    how bad of swirl marks are we talking? pics?
    The swirl marks are barely visible, I just want to keep my paint perfect. My car is only a 2006, and has been meticulously cared for, and when it come time to polish I just want an idea of what people like to use.

I don't have a buffer yet..
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

The swirl marks are barely visible, I just want to keep my paint perfect. My car is only a 2006, and has been meticulously cared for, and when it come time to polish I just want an idea of what people like to use.

If you don't have a buffer and dont intend on buying one, I'd recommend Zaino z5...and since you have an 06, i wouldnt want to be removing any clear just yet.

If you guys want, I can work on a how-to clay bar to polish writeup. Might take a little bit b/c its busy season, but I can work on one if it would help everyone out.
    Anyway, as these guys suggested, I'd try out a clay bar to start. Clay is designed to remove surface contaminants, and this would qualify. Try soaking w/ some apc first too if you can.

I've seen some great results using clearkote red moose glaze by hand. Needs to be worked a few times per panel, but rmg is great stuff. Can even start w/ vanilla moose, then go rmg, then top it w/ nattys wax

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.