Will Ice Hurt Finish?

This is a discussion on Will Ice Hurt Finish? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I know a lot of you in the Northeast are running into this same problem if your car was ...

Will Ice Hurt Finish?

So I know a lot of you in the Northeast are running into this same problem if your car was outside the past few days, it is a block of ICE! There is half an inch to an inch of ice over the entire car, will this hurt my paint as it begins to melt and crack/slide off?

To get to work today I just turned the car on for 20 minutes or so (after having to pour warm water over my door jambs to get in) and scraped the ice off of just the windshield, rear glass, and front side windows. I wasn't about to do anything with the ice on the body panels, but as the hood heated up a big piece cracked and slid off. Should I just let it melt and slide off by itself hoping it doesn't scratch anything, or attempt to get it off some other way if that's possible??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Subaru paint is junk to start with. Its going to get scratched, chipped, and faded soon enough. So dont worry about it.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

It really shouldn't scratch. If it does, it should light and small the sort of thing you can polish out come springtime.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I gingerly broke all the ice off my hood today. I dont want it cracking, rattling and sliding all over the hood for the next few days.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Subaru paint is junk to start with. Its going to get scratched, chipped, and faded soon enough. So dont worry about it.
    +1. Hello SOA ... are you reading this?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    It really shouldn't scratch. If it does, it should light and small the sort of thing you can polish out come springtime.
    Springtime ... sounds great!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

You might get some minor scratching if you leave the ice on and it slides around as you drive. Nothing like a key mark or anything, but scratches that would be similarly induced when washing w/ a dirty mitt or something to that effect. I dont think you'd even notice the scratching under normal conditions. If you can lift off the ice in sections, do that. Otherwise, just let the sun melt it away.

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar

~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post

i dont think thats a good reason to let your paint go to sh1t. Yeah everyone knows Subaru's paint is pretty bad, but with proper care, you can keep it looking great for a long long time. And I dont mean by not driving it unless its perfect out. Just cleaning it on regular intervals and keeping up with claying, polishing, waxing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post

i dont think thats a good reason to let your paint go to sh1t. Yeah everyone knows Subaru's paint is pretty bad, but with proper care, you can keep it looking great for a long long time. And I dont mean by not driving it unless its perfect out. Just cleaning it on regular intervals and keeping up with claying, polishing, waxing, etc.

2nd. Heres a few pics of a forrester that I did. I can post before & afters if you guys really want. But it went from crap, to a really great finish.

Thats what I'm talking about, great job.