How do i get swirl marks out ? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on How do i get swirl marks out ? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have not heard of that line either. For removing swirls by pc, I really like the optimum line. Doing ...

I have not heard of that line either. For removing swirls by pc, I really like the optimum line. Doing it by hand is very difficult, but I'd use clearkote products for hand application.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    I have not heard of that line either. For removing swirls by pc, I really like the optimum line. Doing it by hand is very difficult, but I'd use clearkote products for hand application.
    do you use XMT line of polishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    do you use XMT line of polishes?
    No, I the only xmt stuff I have is their pad cleaner & conditioner set that I wanted to try. Those were given to me to try out, and they're ok. Nothing that an apc or qd cant do though

For polishes, I really love the optimum and poorboys line. Both have given me phenominal results and I've really never had a desire to move away from them. I've been testing out a few other brands as I get samples from the mfg in, but so far, I'm still sold on opt & pb.

In somewhat related news Plexis plastic conditioner, polish, cleaner is great for re-shineing headlights and generally breathing life back into clear bras, ect,ect... If you can find it, buy it.
    02redwagone on Nasioc

Quote Originally Posted by 02radioflyer View Post
    In somewhat related news Plexis plastic conditioner, polish, cleaner is great for re-shineing headlights and generally breathing life back into clear bras, ect,ect... If you can find it, buy it.
    good to know

black is not a color it is a chore

Quote Originally Posted by a03subaruwrx View Post
    black is not a color it is a chore
    Yeah but its so worth it.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Get yourself a Porter Cable 7424 orbital buffer and some Optimum Polish. Pick up a Lake Country 5.25" backing plate and some 5" Lake Country CCS pads. I would suggest using the white pad for the swirls unless they are heavy. In that case use an orange pad and then follow it up with a white pad. Remember to apply a good wax/sealant afterward because the polishing will remove your previous protectant. I think you can get all of these at Danase.com

The Optimum Polish will take quite a few passes to break down, maybe 6-9. You'll get the swirls out for sure, but if the car isn't garaged and it's daily driven you'll end up with more after a pretty short time.

Swirls are impossible to prevent completely, but if you have a good wash regimen you can reduce them significantly. That means a quality wash mitt and a good soap (Meguires Gold Class is pretty nice). If you really want to be nice to your paint, pick up a $60 foam gun, they are amazing.

I wouldnt go w/ the ccs pads on a pc. I dont think they're necessary unless you're using a rotary. Stick to standard 6.5" flat pads which were designed for use w/ the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    I wouldnt go w/ the ccs pads on a pc. I dont think they're necessary unless you're using a rotary. Stick to standard 6.5" flat pads which were designed for use w/ the pc.
    I'm surprised at your answer, only because those are what I've been using after some heavy research over on Autopia.org. My understanding is that larger pads tend to bog the PC when trying to apply light pressure and use higher speed - basically less effective polishing. I've been super happy with my CCS pads working on some older cars with swirls and scratches.

You seem to know your stuff, but I'm just curious why you think that the CCS aren't good on the PC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.