My last full detail of 2006? (warning: LOTS of pics) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on My last full detail of 2006? (warning: LOTS of pics) within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) Very nice turnaround Nice writeup too. It was definitely a cold day for detailing, its a ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    Very nice turnaround Nice writeup too. It was definitely a cold day for detailing, its a good thing you had the garage to work in
    Considering last year at this time my hose was frozen, I'm pretty thankful for the weather (as far as detailing goes). I mean I washed the car in a t-shirt, it was like 55 degrees out, late in the day too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    Considering last year at this time my hose was frozen, I'm pretty thankful for the weather (as far as detailing goes). I mean I washed the car in a t-shirt, it was like 55 degrees out, late in the day too.
    Sure didnt feel like 55 out up here, lol. When Joe (lv 2 rly) came by to pick some stuff up, we were standin outside for a little bit and I was gettin cold just standing there, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    Sure didnt feel like 55 out up here, lol. When Joe (lv 2 rly) came by to pick some stuff up, we were standin outside for a little bit and I was gettin cold just standing there, lol.
    maybe it wasn't 55 lol...but it was warm enough. If its > 40, I wont complain too much.

edit: there is no way my car isn't going to be the cleanest in the garage...forget it I'm going all out.

Right on man.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Looks great. I am about to go do my sisters Scion TC as a Christmas gift. I don't have a buffer yet, so I won't polish, but I will claybar, then wax. I don't think her car has ever been waxed, and she has small stains on almost every seat in her car. I'm sure my mom will want me to wash her car too.

I did my car yesterday with Poorboy's paste wax, and it looks spectacular.

Keep up the good work, and if you have anymore tips keep 'em coming! I guess I need to go look for a buffer...
    Hawk-Eye alliance #052

I'm also into photography!
    Check out my photos: My Flickr

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Is a buffer hard to use? I've heard many stories of people screwing up their paint from using one incorrectly...
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    Is a buffer hard to use? I've heard many stories of people screwing up their paint from using one incorrectly...
    in short:
    Dual Action- No. Just read up on how to properly use it first.
    Rotary- Yes. Leave it to the pros or people with a lot of experience. Practice on beater cars.
    Last edited by Redline927; 12-30-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    in short:
    Dual Action- No. Just read up on how to properly use it first.
    Rotary- Yes. Leave it to the pros or people with a lot of experience. Practice on beater cars.
    I'm guessing you were using a rotary in this thread?
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    I'm guessing you were using a rotary in this thread?
    nope, Porter Cable dual action. I don't own a rotary buffer (yet). I've had fantastic results with my PC though. I haven't dealt with a car that was soo horribly swirled/ marred that my PC couldn't handle.

Rotary buffers spin waaaay faster, and dont have a random orbiting motion. When in the hands of a pro, they can remove very heavy marring /some pretty serious scratches. However, in the hands of an inexperienced detailer, can burn right through the paint in a matter of seconds, break off emblems/trim/molding, leave horrible buffer marks or hazing, which in turn will need to be buffed out again, correctly, by a pro.

As for DA buffers, they are much more forgiving. Make sure you do your homework on polishes/compounds/cutting pads, and make sure youre working with a clean surface/pad before touching the car. Autopia.org is a great resource to learn about machine polishing.
    Last edited by Redline927; 12-30-2006 at 09:55 PM.

looks great man.

Hope you don't mind if I ask a quick question about the claybar.

There are a lot of trees that drop sap and bird crap on to cars at my work. Will the clay remove this?

Also when you're applying the clay, do you rub just as if you had a rag in your hands(same motion)?

Thanks for the help.
    Jeff
    All In Automotive
    http://www.allinautomotive.com
    Car and automotive related news.

2006 WRX TR, Cobb Stage 2, Invidia DP, SPT Intake, KB shifter and bushings, Tanabe GF210s.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXScarlett View Post
    looks great man.

There are a lot of trees that drop sap and bird crap on to cars at my work. Will the clay remove this?

Also when you're applying the clay, do you rub just as if you had a rag in your hands(same motion)?

Thanks for the help.
    Claybar should remove tree sap and bir droppings, it will remove any bonded surface contaminents. Though occasionally really bad stuff will require heavier things.

Your supposed to drage the claybar along the paint, not really rub it like a rag. I usually go in straight lines in one area until it feels that its not picking anything up.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXScarlett View Post
    looks great man.

Thanks for the help.
    You want to use a clay bar in a back/forth motion using very light pressure. Clay is designed to remove environmental fallout, sap, iron particles, etc etc. You'll want to first clean the surface by washing. Once washed, take some fresh soap, or clay lube, and wet the surface youre going to clay. Clay needs some lubrication to work properly. Then just work the clay back and forth a few times.

they got it before me ^^

good luck

Thanks everyone. These trees are killing me here. I gotta go buy some now.
    Jeff
    All In Automotive
    http://www.allinautomotive.com
    Car and automotive related news.

2006 WRX TR, Cobb Stage 2, Invidia DP, SPT Intake, KB shifter and bushings, Tanabe GF210s.

i've never used a DA, i've always washed and waxed my cars by hand.

im not a huge perfectionist when it comes to it tho,i drive in the city and i live on a dirt road

and new england.

i keep thinking to get one tho you may have just inspired me.
    New England F4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.