Help Detailing
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help Detailing within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey. I have cleaned my car but never done what you would call a detail. My paint has small scratches ...

Help Detailing

hey. I have cleaned my car but never done what you would call a detail. My paint has small scratches on almost every panel. My engine has never been even wiped off in 45000 miles. You can imagine. I am looking for a complete list of things that i have to buy with a short description of what each does and why i need it. Anyone who takes the time to tell me this will be greatly rewarded...im not sure when or how... thanks alot

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok I'm assuming the little scratches youn are refering to paint swirls which are quaite common on Subaru unfortunately.

The first step is to prevent future swirling. The first step is to look at what towels your using for washing buffing etc. I suggest switching to all microfibre towels for drying,washing, buffing. To apply the waxex I recomend meguiars applicator pads (don't buy cheap autozone ones).

Now to remove the current swirls. Subaru's always have a few and you may never be able to get rid of 100% of them especially if your car is black.

My schedule looks (looked) like this and it kept swirls nearly non-existent. If you can't remove the swirls with hand polish you'll need to try a buffer. Hand Polish has always worked fine for me, so Ill let some one else chime in with buffer info if necessary.

Once a year
    1.griots claybar--(removes any bonded surface contaminents form the paint if you need an explanation of how to use it, ask and Ill explain it)
    2. griots fine hand polish--(a heavier a abrasive that can be applied by hand, polishes out swirls)
    3. Meguiars Scratch X--(another lighter abrasive to finish it up)
    4. meguairs NXT--(a regular wax, good for protection)
    5. griots carnuba wax--(non abrasive "natural wax" good for a nice finishing coat for that extra shine)

every 6 months
    1. Meguiars Scratch X
    2. meguairs NXT
    3. griots carnuba wax

every 2 months
    1. meguiars NXT wax
    2. griots carnuba

every month
    1. griots carnuba wax

every week
    1. wash with meguiars nxt soap

As for the underhood are I'm not a huge expert on this since I've never bought a used car and had to deal with build up dirt. However the main thing I use under the hood is simple green, it cuts dirt very well. I know that alot of detaling places have steam cleaner that will clean it up very well, I know some people have used a power washer etc. but there is a procedure for what to cover etc. Do a search I think its been on here before. Once you do get the build up off a wipe down with simple green once a week should keep things clean.

All griots products can be found at www.griotsgarage.com and all meguiars stuff can be found at www.meguiars.com or sometimes autozone.

Hope this helps if you need any clarification or more help just ask. There ALOT of other producst for wheels,tires,interior,metal etc. I just listed the paint/polishstuff since I wasn't sure if thats all you wanted but if you need a list of that other stuff too just aks and Ill post it.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 11-15-2006 at 10:10 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

ok so im guessing that i should probably do everything on your schedule since its the first time i am doing it. As long as it expalins how to use them on the back in directions then i dont really need to be told how to use them.
    Thank you for your list and if you have any special tips on how you used some of this stuff and it worked really well please share. Thanks alot
    Adam
    i have tried to wax before but it always comes out swirly and just bad looking. Any ideas what i could be doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by rexspeedmaster View Post
    i have tried to wax before but it always comes out swirly and just bad looking. Any ideas what i could be doing wrong?
    if its the first time its been detailed I'd definitely do all of it.

As for the swirls when waxing it could be a few things, basic things are. 1. don't wax in sunlight 2. don't try to buff to soon and don't let it dry to much it should dry just to the point where in longer feels super wet or tacky. 3. use the right kind of wax applicators and rags to buff don't use cheap crap. 4. Don't apply too much wax just a thin layer don't over do it. 5. When you finish all the steps wipe the car down with a clean microfibre towel to get any last wax residue off.

The final step which is griots carnuba is really easy to apply/buff and helps to finish it all up so that might help.

Other than those things all i can say is someitmes it just takes a little practice to get your own perfect mehtod going.

I forgot to mention ealier I got all my microfiber towels etc from meguiars.com

All the stuff is pretty basic just follow the directions but if you have any questions just ask.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 11-15-2006 at 10:40 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by rexspeedmaster View Post
    ok so im guessing that i should probably do everything on your schedule since its the first time i am doing it. As long as it expalins how to use them on the back in directions then i dont really need to be told how to use them.
    Thank you for your list and if you have any special tips on how you used some of this stuff and it worked really well please share. Thanks alot
    Adam
    Did you do the detail yet/pick stuff up yet? If not, lemme know and I can suggest some stuff for ya.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.