swirls!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on swirls! within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i looked but i didnt see an answer that i was looking for. So, i have a black 06 tr ...

swirls!

i looked but i didnt see an answer that i was looking for. So, i have a black 06 tr and it is full of swirls. My neighbor owns and makes detailing supplies and he has something called swirless. i tries to apply it by hand, and it did nothing. Do i really have to use a buffer? thanks-mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

depends how bad....any pics? You can try meguiars scratch x, that should help you out a bunch. You can also try zaino z5...its a non abrasive you apply by hand.
    dont forget to wax afterwards, if you use scratch x.

if its really that bad, a buffer and abrasive polish will do it.

GL

welcome to the world of obsidan black swirl and crappy subaru paint.

i use zymol carbon, it helps, i like it, good product

you have to use the right tools for washing, micro fiber towels and non silicone sponges and towels, and gentle soaps. its a long and complicated situation us OBP owners have to go through in order for our cars to look clean and like new. it sucks, and i'm starting to think its not worth it...i sholud have just gotten a CGM subie and called it a day.
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

You'll probably always have a few swirls with Obsidiean Black swirl but the best thing I found was:

1. Griots Fine Hand Polish
    2. Meguiars Scratch X
    3. Meguiars NXT
    4. Griots Carnuba wax.

Do this every 6 months and include a claybar once a year. Every month use the carnuba wax and every other month use the carnuba wax and nxt wax. This should remove/keep swirls to a minimum.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

http://www.autogeek.net/pbmssr16.html
    this is what i use on my black/ blue metallic wrx
    it cleans polishes and removes swirls in one step, i normally use this, and finish with the nxt or whatever your favorite wax is

ok.... ill give all the suggestions a shot. even though black is a total pain, everyone has to agree it looks pretty freakin good at night and when its clean. eh, a little work but it pays off.

Quote Originally Posted by mcganz121 View Post
    ok.... ill give all the suggestions a shot. even though black is a total pain, everyone has to agree it looks pretty freakin good at night and when its clean. eh, a little work but it pays off.
    +1000000

<---------is on his 2nd black car
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

black cars are to hard to take care of
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Portercable + Lake Country Pads + Optimum Compound and Polish = no swirls

You need to re-examine your wash techniqe and learn to reduce marring there.

Quote Originally Posted by thesacrifice View Post
    Portercable + Lake Country Pads + Optimum Compound and Polish = no swirls

You need to re-examine your wash techniqe and learn to reduce marring there.
    yeah, but i suggest he starts out doing it by hand first. it will probably help a ton and save him lots of money.

time = money

The swirls are very fine scratches in your clear coat. Most likely from drying the car with an improper towell, or washing it with the wrong sponge/soap combo.

Wash with a "car detergent" or "car wash soap" never use dish soap. Buy a good wash mit and KEEP IT CLEAN. Don't use the mit for under the side skirts or to clean the wheels. Use a separate sponge/mit for that. After you wash it I like to dry the car using two cloths.

1. is a chamois (shammy) that gets the bulk of the water off the car.
    2. is a nice terry cloth towel (I have several that are ONLY used for drying the body of the car)

--use different towels for the wheels, door sills, trunk compartment etc.

Then to get rid of the pre-existing swirl marks the easiest and most available product is Meguiars 3 step process. 1 = paint cleaner (goes on and off like wax), 2 = polish (goes on and off like wax), 3 = wax.

This should eliminate them. If it doesnt when you wash the car again try using Meguiars Clay Bar process after the paint cleaner.

For follow on washes, I recommend washing the car every week or every two weeks. And waxing AT LEAST once a month, more like 2-3 times a month if you drive the car in the elements a lot. By doing the above process and experimenting with different products I was able to keep a 1997 Black Crapalier swirl free with glassy paint for 6 years!!!!

Good Luck, and Black is the best
    2004 STi

Blitz DTT-DCII
    COBB Stage 2
    Invidia Catless DP
    HKS Hiper Cat-back
    Greddy: EGT, Boost, Oil Press Gauges
    Perrin Oil Catch Can

I used to use a chamois to try my car but found that it is fully capable of micromarring.

Now I use Waffle Weave Microfiber Towels (poorboy's world, and Cobra) and they dry just as well, if not better, and dont mar.

Also, try using two washmitts.... Walmart has Eurow Sheepskin washmitts for $4.95 each, and despite being purchased at Walmart, are very good for washing your car.

The main thing to remember is that you aren't scrubbing your paint. You're picking up the dirt/grime/contaminants that come off easy, if you need to scrub, you need to use a bug/tar remover to loosen it up first.

Quote Originally Posted by thesacrifice View Post
    time = money
    someone who hasnt detailed cars very much at all+ not knowledgable about polishes, cutting pads, buffer speeds = paint even more messed up than before.

I still suggest he works at it by hand first. After reading up on polishing etc, then i would recommend a machine.

It would take a LOT of effort to mess up paint uing a portercable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast