How to fix scuffs on items like side skirts?

This is a discussion on How to fix scuffs on items like side skirts? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How does one go about dealing with scuffing and minor scratches on items like the side skirts that are (I ...

I Support ClubWRX

How to fix scuffs on items like side skirts?

How does one go about dealing with scuffing and minor scratches on items like the side skirts that are (I think) some sort of hard rubber or plastic and black? Thanks.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

usually some very light compound or even just some "cleaner wax" will take them off.

if you use a light/fine compound, make sure after you use the compound and take it off the paint, to use a wax to go back over it.

Meguiars (however you spell it) has a cleaner wax that i use for those types of things. I imagine it is a super fine compound and a lot easier to use. Also takes small dirt specs out of paint from everyday driving. after using that, go over the same areas with a good wax/sealer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I Support ClubWRX
    Leave them unpainted. Like I have done despite many here.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    How does one go about dealing with scuffing and minor scratches on items like the side skirts that are (I think) some sort of hard rubber or plastic and black? Thanks.

i'm assuming that the side skirts arent painted

Well the unfortunate thing about the plastic is that it's finely textured, any attempt to remove scuffs will result in more scuffs.

Your best bet is to attempt to hide it with a product like mothers back to black bumper and trim dressing.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-6108-B.../dp/B0002U1TXK
    it's a great product

if its black or gray unpainted plastic DO NOT APPLY ANY WAX OR CLEANER WAX it messes up the plastic and may stain it, i would use some sort of plastic conditioner, mothers back to black, armor all will work, armor all also makes a really nice product for plastic and interior stuff, and plastic trim its a thicker gel, it works really well (i think its in a yellow squeeze bottle)
    can you post a pic, that might help

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for all the replies.

Painting the area is not an option. I should have clarified this isn't a side skirt; the texture and material are LIKE our side skirts though. It's a bumper and it's not a Subaru.

I will try to post a pic tomorrow. Basically, it's scuffing on a plasticized "bumper" area. I tried Armor All and it made the scuffs shiny and clean, but they're still visible. I'll look into getting a pic up come daylight.

Thanks again all, to be continued.

SD
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hmm. i figured we were talking about a painted part of the car. I have never noticed a scuff on my non-painted side skirts..even on the passenger side

cleaner wax and stuff that i mentioned in my post is only good for painted parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth