Spots on the paint
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Spots on the paint within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; its been a while since my last post, but i noticed that my car has yellow specs on the outside ...

Spots on the paint

its been a while since my last post, but i noticed that my car has yellow specs on the outside of my car. its been bugging me bigtime and now its time to fix it. i havn't tried a clay bar yet, and i will give that a shot on friday...but i tried taking 1 (one) of the spots off with a dab of vinegar...didn't work...then i tried rubbing alcohol...bammo...spot was gone. im just wondering how harse rubbing alcohol is for the clear coat? what else do you guys recommend?
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Claybar can do some amazing things. How big are the spots?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Claybar can do some amazing things. How big are the spots?
    +1 Alcohol is pretty hard on the paint but just wash it off right away and wax after and you'll be ok.

Definitely try claybar first next time.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

The manual specifically states to avoid getting alcohol (rubbing, isopropyl, denatured) on the paint as it will certainly damage it. I have heard that the white and red colors are single stage, which means no clear coat so I imagine that would be even worse. As you probably know by now, Subaru doesn't use the best paint so I would avoid it at all costs in the future.

Try clay bar, or quick detailer. I keep a bottle of quick detailer and a microfiber towel in my trunk for spots, streaks, and bird crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG
    The manual specifically states to avoid getting alcohol (rubbing, isopropyl, denatured) on the paint as it will certainly damage it. I have heard that the white and red colors are single stage, which means no clear coat so I imagine that would be even worse. As you probably know by now, Subaru doesn't use the best paint so I would avoid it at all costs in the future.

Try clay bar, or quick detailer. I keep a bottle of quick detailer and a microfiber towel in my trunk for spots, streaks, and bird crap.
    +1 I wouldn't use alcohol on my paint.
    FORZA FERRARI

the spots are the size of regular water spots, but they are yellow and will not come off from a regular wash.

i only used alcohol on one tiny spot in a discrete location, so if it does f up the paint it wont be noticeable

I'll go buy a clay bar and try that tomorrow, if it doesnt rain!!!!
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    the spots are the size of regular water spots, but they are yellow and will not come off from a regular wash.

i only used alcohol on one tiny spot in a discrete location, so if it does f up the paint it wont be noticeable

I'll go buy a clay bar and try that tomorrow, if it doesnt rain!!!!
    The best thing would be to clay it, then use some kind of polish or cleaner wax (I recomend griots fine hand polish, or mothers cleaner wax) and then wax it.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG

who ever told you that white has no clear on it needs to go to school .

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    The best thing would be to clay it, then use some kind of polish or cleaner wax (I recomend griots fine hand polish, or mothers cleaner wax) and then wax it.
    after i clay it, i was planning on washing it like i normally do. then wax it.

whats the cleaner wax? i've never used clay so i'm doing research and getting advice at the same time..
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

after i clay it, i was planning on washing it like i normally do. then wax it.

whats the cleaner wax? i've never used clay so i'm doing research and getting advice at the same time..

Well you do need to wash it first befor claying too but yeah washing after is a good idea. Cleaner wax is basically just a mildy abrasive max that will help polish out persisten spots/ bonded stuff etc.

Clay baring is easy just be sure to use a lot of quick detailer and don't let the clay go over a dry spot.
    FORZA FERRARI

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Well you do need to wash it first befor claying too but yeah washing after is a good idea. Cleaner wax is basically just a mildy abrasive max that will help polish out persisten spots/ bonded stuff etc.

Clay baring is easy just be sure to use a lot of quick detailer and don't let the clay go over a dry spot.
    after doing some research on clay, its somewhat intimidating...

so i should wash my car regularly to get off the dirt and crap. then clay bar it (using lots of lube) (i am reading http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html for more information btw). then prewax it. then wax it. sounds like its going to be a long friday
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

after doing some research on clay, its somewhat intimidating...

so i should wash my car regularly to get off the dirt and crap. then clay bar it (using lots of lube) (i am reading http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html for more information btw). then prewax it. then wax it. sounds like its going to be a long friday
    Its really not that bad. (By prewax their refering to cleanerwax/polish)

It does take a long time I think last time I did it all I think it took 5-6 hours.
    FORZA FERRARI

Banned
    ahhh the time and love that goes into the upkeep of our crappy subie paint. LOL

what ill do is, ill take a picture of the spots im talking about tomorrow and post them here, and go buy all the things i need to do this. I'll plan on doing this next friday when i get a full day
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

what ill do is, ill take a picture of the spots im talking about tomorrow and post them here, and go buy all the things i need to do this. I'll plan on doing this next friday when i get a full day
    Stupid question but you did wash it first after you saw the spots right?

I only ask because its bad to leave it sitting on there if it is some kind of contaminent and could stuck on there worse.
    FORZA FERRARI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.