Black car woes...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Black car woes... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been trying diligently to get a great wash on my scoob, but after 3 unsuccessful washes, I damn close ...

Nok

Black car woes...

I've been trying diligently to get a great wash on my scoob, but after 3 unsuccessful washes, I damn close to just paying the mobile detail rig to come out here. Keep in mind all my previous cars have been white, so I haven't had any dark colored cars.

1st time: I pretty much figured out the sun was my downfall... I soaked the car for a good 5-7 mins, then washed areas within arm distance while each rinse keeping the rest of the car wet. It wasn't extremely hot, but between the 95 degree sun, and the dry wind, it seemed to just dry too fast and ended up being a disaster.

2nd time: Attempted to use my house as shade while the sun was still out, just not beating directly on it and it turned out slightly better. Tried the same concept I used the first time of keeping the car soaked at all times, but once again it seemed to just dry up way too fast.

3rd time: The setting I think was perfect... Right as the sun sunk behind the mountain, I started with the same idea as before and it was going awesome! Once I had the whole thing washed, I attempted to use a chamois but all it did was push the water around and leave light streaks of water that would simply dry up instantly and leave marks. After washing that spot again, I attempted to dry it with an extremely soft towel to avoid scratching, but again just ended up drying up just enough water to dry up almost instantly and leave a film. Being frusterated, I washed it one more time and immediately hauled ass out onto the highway and air dried it, only to leave hard water stains scattered all over the car, along with with dirty splash marks from the wind pushing it out of the windows and door handles.

So basically, what the hell am I doing wrong here? I unfortunately don't have any covered/wind-free area to wash it, and unless I want to wash it on road-base, I have about a 45min-1hour time frame that the sun isn't directly on it, but still up high enough to see. I'm using Maguires(sp?) soap, with a soft hand-mitt that hasn't been abused.

I've read a lot over the past couple days and have a few things I want to try, but would love some opinions from people who have maybe had the same problems? Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    The worst thing you can possibly do is wash a car in direct sunlight. I guess you learned that lesson the hard way... Wash your car on either a cloudy day or in the evening as you described in your 3rd try. You seem to have it down on the washing part - just keep the car constantly wet. When it's time to rinse/dry there is a trick to get most of the water off quickly. If you are using a nozzle on your hose, take it off and gently let the water flow over the car from the end of the hose. The water will sheet off and make it easier to dry. When drying, I use a leaf blower to get most of the left over water off. Start on the roof and work your way down. After this, use a microfiber drying towel and/or terry cloth to dry off any excess water. Hope this helps! It works great for me!
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Only wash in the shade. When drying,

first this:

Then this:

problem solved. GL.

Yea, Defiantly wash your car later in the day, I usually do it around 4pm where I live. I always wash the wheels first then move to the body. I just move fast and I use Meguires NXT wash or Turtle Wax Gold Class Soap. I have found to have better sucess with the wash mit. When your done washing and rinsing I let the car drip dry for about 5-10min then I rip in down the street to about 60mph then I bring it right into the garage dry it with the Meguires Water Magnet drying towel and I move stright over to a Turtle Wax Express Spray Wax. If you follow those steps your car should look amazing!

If you're going to wash your wheels first... make sure you use a separte cloth, sponge, or whatever to do the rest of the car. The wheels will have a lot of brake dust, sand, dirt, rocks whatever. So if you wash your wheels first and use the same cloth, you might as well wash your car with sand paper, cause all of the stuff on your wheels WILL get stuck to the cloth. You will scratch the hell out of your paint.

I use a wheel brush for my wheels, and use a microfiber covered sponge for the body. I always try to do it on a cool day and out of the sun. Either early morning while the body is still cool or later in the evening after the car has been in the shade for a few hours. Most people say not to use a chamois for the dry, but I do. Get the chamois wet first... real wet, to the point where it won't absorb water anymore, then ring the water out of it. I usually wet the chamois at the beginning of the wash, ring out the water, and throw it over my shoulder so it dries a big more while I'm washing the car.

+100 for removing the nozzle for the final rinse. It will definately help get rid of most of the water as it runs off. I use a nozzle that has a "shower" setting which is great for getting more coverage and creates the "sheeting action" described.
    Last edited by WRXDriver82; 09-14-2006 at 01:54 PM.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

Good point on using seperate sponges for the wheels, invest in a wheel brush and a bug and tar sponge for spot cleaning, also it isn't a bad idea to have two buckets one with clean water and the other with soap so after u wash a section u dip the sponge in the clean water to rinse off the dirt & sand then back into the soap to keep a dirt free wash. If all else fails try the Mr Clean Auto Dry, I bought it when it first came out and it worked alright, i no longer use it though.

lol
    1 wash car before sun sets
    2 wash one section at a time and keep rest of car soaked
    3 dry with 5 waffle weave micro fibre towels.. big ones. lay them on the paint and dab it with your hands softly. dont move the towel.
    also use a sheepskin mitt
    (aso clean your rims before u wash your car... use different bucket and sponge)
    you crasee men

I usually get up early just before sunrise and wash my car. The if I'm going to wax I pull it into the garage and wax inside. Black iss a pain but its worth it. I'm on my second black car and my next car will be black and probably the one after that too.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

spraying dessing on the plastic under the wheel wells is a nice touch( has nothing to do with washing, but makes the car looks nice).

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    I usually get up early just before sunrise and wash my car. The if I'm going to wax I pull it into the garage and wax inside. Black iss a pain but its worth it. I'm on my second black car and my next car will be black and probably the one after that too.

my next car is def gonna be black. Well worth it if youre willing to work for it.

those california water blades are the sh*t. they work really awesome.
    Sarah
    Blobeye Syndicate #69

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    my next car is def gonna be black. Well worth it if youre willing to work for it.
    Once you go black you never go back.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Wow, sounds like your stressing a bit too much about keeping it clean. I own a black Forester XT, and I feel your pain. I definitely recommend investing in one of those squeegees. I love my California Jelly Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Once you go black you never go back.
    i'm never buying a black car again

obsidian black swirl
    2012 VW GLI
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE AWD (thats right...swagger wagon)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #011

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.