How often do you wax? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on How often do you wax? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Redline927 no im not very familiar with old paint jobs. Was it clearcoated? Originally Posted by Trainrex ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    no im not very familiar with old paint jobs. Was it clearcoated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex

Our cars have two or three stage paint depending on the color. Basecoat - clearcoat, or basecoat - midcoat - clearcoat. You won't notice it right away, but everytime you wax, you are taking a tiny layer of clear off. If you waxed a single stage car (one coat of color that dries glossy), you will see the color on the applicator.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok so it wasnt clearcoated, and your telling me its possible to get down to my WRX's paint, through my clearcoat, by HANDWAXING? No, it wont happen. Even though Subarus paint may be sub par, none of us here have crappy 1 stage non clearcoated paint jobs on our 2002+ wrx's.

I'll get back to you in 5 years.
    Last edited by Redline927; 09-24-2006 at 12:18 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    ok so it wasnt clearcoated, and your telling me its possible to get down to my WRX's paint, through my clearcoat, by HANDWAXING? No, it wont happen. Even though Subarus paint may be sub par, none of us here have crappy 1 stage non clearcoated paint jobs on our 2002+ wrx's.

I'll get back to you in 5 years.
    You are missing the point completely. Yes, if you keep waxing your car every week, in 5 years you may go through the clearcoat. And yes, some of us plan to own the car that long. I'm going on 4 years with mine. It's garage kept like yours, I've waxed it once, and it looks phenominal. Ask those who have seen it.

You don't see the material you are taking off because you are taking off clearcoat. I was simply using a single stage paint job as an example. A single stage paintjob is every bit as durable as a two stage, it just doesn't keep the same lustre. When you wax a single stage paint job, you get color on your applicator because you are taking off material. The same happens to a two stage, you just don't see it because you are removing clearcoat.

Edit. Apparantly you know nothing about paint.

You are missing the point completely. Yes, if you keep waxing your car every week, in 5 years you may go through the clearcoat. And yes, some of us plan to own the car that long. I'm going on 4 years with mine. It's garage kept like yours, I've waxed it once, and it looks phenominal. Ask those who have seen it.

You don't see the material you are taking off because you are taking off clearcoat. I was simply using a single stage paint job as an example. A single stage paintjob is every bit as durable as a two stage, it just doesn't keep the same lustre. When you wax a single stage paint job, you get color on your applicator because you are taking off material. The same happens to a two stage, you just don't see it because you are removing clearcoat.

Edit. Apparantly you know nothing about paint.
    Well what does owning the car for 5 years have to do with anything? I bought mine used in 2004, it was built in October 2001, and I plan to keep it for many more years. Yeah, mine is garage kept, but unlike yours, is daily driven. Ive waxed my car more than youve taken the cover off yours. It has seen rain, snow, etc. Im sure your car does look phenominal, as does mine, I work for the shine. Umm, I guess I am missing the point. But thats neither here nor there.

Again, if I keep waxing at the rate I do, I do not think I'll go through the clearcoat. You're right, I dont know as much about the anatomy of a paintjob as you do, I'm not the one whos restored cars and has the experience with it, Im sure youve been doing that stuff longer than Ive been alive.

However, I DO have a good amount of knowledge of how to take care of a modern paintjob. I have done my homework before I first touched my paint with anything, and I have heard from pro detailers that you cant harm your paint by waxing properly. thats all.

Maybe someday ill buy a guage and measure the thickness before and after waxing to see exactly how many mils were removed. I guess when I've waxed right down the sheet metal and either my right arm is 15x the size of my left or its fallen off completely, Ill make sure I don't come crying back to you.

I dont want to turn this into a fight, so ill just PM you if I feel like we should discuss it furthur.
    Last edited by Redline927; 09-24-2006 at 02:19 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess when I've waxed right down the sheet metal and either my right arm is 15x the size of my left or its fallen off completely, Ill make sure I don't come crying back to you.
    That's all that counts

i use colored wax on my front end after every wash... so atleast once a week

the front end of my car is basically sand blasted from the ground up lava rock they use on the roads here in winter time.

i'm going to keep this up untill after the snow season this year. then i'm going to get all of the door dings taken care of and get a good respray

That's all that counts
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

It all depends on the kind of wax you use, synthetic waxes like Meguires NXT and similar waxes don't really need to be reapplied as often. If your a true detailer your probably using a carnauba wax and the whole idea behind carnauba is that it should be layered to get the wet shiny effect (more=better). Carnauba is a natural occuring wax from plant leaves in Brazil and thus wears off kinda quick (2 weeks or so for a pure carnauba) so if your using carnauba your most likely going to be waxing 2 times a month.

all the time

update: Im sueing meguiars, I overwaxed and their damn nxt ate a hole through my wrb!! They never put a disclaimer on the bottle about over-doing it!!

(jk TR)

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post
    update: Im sueing meguiars, I overwaxed and their damn nxt ate a hole through my wrb!! They never put a disclaimer on the bottle about over-doing it!!

lol

(jk TR)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927 View Post

(jk TR)
    Keep tryin', you'll get there

I haven't waxed my car in a long while. I put xylon on my entire car inside and out. That stuff is incredible. You can spray paint a spot on your car let it dry and it rubs right off. I also put it on my wheels and the break dust comes off with a spray of the hose. Its on my windsheild and acts just like rainX but last 10X longer. I found out about this stuff when I worked at a car dealership a few years ago and took a couple bottles with me when i left. Im not sure where you can buy this stuff at. Some dealerships offer this as a package but it is rather expensive like $1500 for it all. The enterior is supposed to protect the cloth and/or leather. I guess that works to but havent noticed because im not hard on my enterior anyways.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I wax my car about 1 once a week at the most. On an average, twice a month. At the VERY least, once a month. You can wax your car everyday if you want. Its not bad for the paint, its only going to make it look better and better. I polish my car about once a year if it needs it, which it usually does after the winter... when i do polish it, i then put a coat of paint sealant on the car and then use a carnuba wax afterward. Ive never compounded my car for the simple reason that it has not needed it. Anyway, wax on!
    Last edited by Imprezademics; 12-05-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    Snitches get stitches!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.