How often do you wax? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on How often do you wax? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the exception might be some cleaner waxes, and even then, the abrasiveness is SO mild, you could wax everyday and ...

the exception might be some cleaner waxes, and even then, the abrasiveness is SO mild, you could wax everyday and it wouldnt mess up your paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    the exception might be some cleaner waxes, and even then, the abrasiveness is SO mild, you could wax everyday and it wouldnt mess up your paint.
    Alrighty then.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Not true. I actually know a guy who eventually waxed through the paint on his volvo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Not true. I actually know a guy who eventually waxed through the paint on his volvo.
    By hand or buffer?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

what about meguiars NXT wax. I thought that had a mild abrasive in it?
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    By hand or buffer?
    By hand. He bought a 1993 850 Volvo brand new, and waxed it just about every weekend. After about 4-5 years, he eventually broke through the paint on the hood.

Our cars have two or three stage paint depending on the color. Basecoat - clearcoat, or basecoat - midcoat - clearcoat. You won't notice it right away, but everytime you wax, you are taking a tiny layer of clear off. If you waxed a single stage car (one coat of color that dries glossy), you will see the color on the applicator.

I Support ClubWRX
    By hand. He bought a 1993 850 Volvo brand new, and waxed it just about every weekend. After about 4-5 years, he eventually broke through the paint on the hood.

Our cars have two or three stage paint depending on the color. Basecoat - clearcoat, or basecoat - midcoat - clearcoat. You won't notice it right away, but everytime you wax, you are taking a tiny layer of clear off. If you waxed a single stage car (one coat of color that dries glossy), you will see the color on the applicator.
    I had a car years ago like that. Now that I remember, it was disturbing to see paint on the applicator.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I had a car years ago like that. Now that I remember, it was disturbing to see paint on the applicator.

I Support ClubWRX

Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I like the new avatar.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

maybe you can tell us what kind of wax he used? seems a little, i dont know, sketchy? If he was into detailing as much as to wax every weekend, (i dont know the guy, so i could be wrong) then i would assume he used polishes quite frequently? THEN i could see that happening. But to lay down a coat of wax over clearcoat, and just attempt to build up that coat (it wouldnt do anything after a while), i dont know how it could happen. You know why you cant remove swirls and micromarring by waxing alone? Because wax isnt even abrasive enough to smooth out the edges of fine marring in clearcoat.

Perhaps your friend had some case of clearcoat failure.
    Maybe i will consult some professionals on Autopia.

damn the websites not working.
    Last edited by Redline927; 09-22-2006 at 03:56 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    maybe you can tell us what kind of wax he used? seems a little, i dont know, sketchy? If he was into detailing as much as to wax every weekend, (i dont know the guy, so i could be wrong) then i would assume he used polishes quite frequently? THEN i could see that happening. But to lay down a coat of wax over clearcoat, and just attempt to build up that coat (it wouldnt do anything after a while), i dont know how it could happen. You know why you cant remove swirls and micromarring by waxing alone? Because wax isnt even abrasive enough to smooth out the edges of fine marring in clearcoat.

Perhaps your friend had some case of clearcoat failure.
    Maybe i will consult some professionals on Autopia.

damn the websites not working.
    Have you ever waxed a single stage paintjob? If not, try it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ
    I like the new avatar.
    Thanks ... I was waiting for someone to notice and comment. is a way of lfe for me.
    Mods & Pics

I wax my a** more than my car.(once every 3 months)

ZYMOL RULES!!!
    "You were flyin back there when I passed you!"

NEW ENGLANDF4

Have you ever waxed a single stage paintjob? If not, try it.
    no im not very familiar with old paint jobs. Was it clearcoated?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.