Washing a car when rain is in the forecast ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

This is a discussion on Washing a car when rain is in the forecast ... within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there a time period prior to rain you don't wash? Do you wash no matter what the forecast (Tyler ...

  1. #1
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,172
    I Support ClubWRX

    Washing a car when rain is in the forecast ...

    Is there a time period prior to rain you don't wash? Do you wash no matter what the forecast (Tyler for sure)?

    What are your thoughts? Is this subject poll worthy?

    I would like to go do a wash now, but there is a 40% chance of heavy rain Monday night ... Think I might anyway.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CS, TX
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Is there a time period prior to rain you don't wash? Do you wash no matter what the forecast (Tyler for sure)?

    What are your thoughts? Is this subject poll worthy?

    I would like to go do a wash now, but there is a 40% chance of heavy rain Monday night ... Think I might anyway.
    I wash every weekend no matter what the weather. Even if it is supposed to rain the next day, I will wash. I hate to leave dirt from the previous week on the car for another. Unless it is physically raining the entire weekend my car will not get washed, but at least dusted and QD'd in the garage.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

  4. #3
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,172
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63
    I wash every weekend no matter what the weather. Even if it is supposed to rain the next day, I will wash. I hate to leave dirt from the previous week on the car for another. Unless it is physically raining the entire weekend my car will not get washed, but at least dusted and QD'd in the garage.
    Garage I have not.

    I have bugs and autox residue (brake dust and the like) I would like to remove. I will be going out shortly ...
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  5. #4
    Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CS, TX
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Garage I have not.

    I have bugs and autox residue (brake dust and the like) I would like to remove. I will be going out shortly ...
    No garage?? AHH, I would go crazy without one. Well then, I would wash in the rain if I had to if I was you. Do you cover your car somehow during night/day?
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

  6. #5
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,172
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63
    No garage?? AHH, I would go crazy without one. Well then, I would wash in the rain if I had to if I was you. Do you cover your car somehow during night/day?
    I keep thinking car port, but has not happened yet. A car port would be best with the layout of my house.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    491
    somehow it seems that whenever i wash my car, the rain gods laugh histerically at me, and send down a pouring shower within the next day or two. Maybe thats just my luck, but since you dont have a garage, then you might as well wash it anyways
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

  8. #7
    Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CS, TX
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    I keep thinking car port, but has not happened yet. A car port would be best with the layout of my house.
    Well until you get one you should get a quality car cover and cover your car when not using it for long periods of time. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

  9. #8
    Registered User dcpatters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,174
    If I want it to rain, I will wash my car. No matter what, it seems to always rain afterwards. In any case, I will wash the car in the rain regardless and then pull it into the garage. If I need to go later then so be it. Just don't like it to get too filthy.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

  10. #9
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    I wash it as long as its not raining while I'm washing. I figure if I don't wash it it will have dirt + rain dirt, if I wash it it'll only have the dirt from the rain and therefor be cleaner. I have gotten caught in the rain before while washing my car at which point I just pull the car in and dry it off.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  11. #10
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,172
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63
    Well until you get one you should get a quality car cover and cover your car when not using it for long periods of time. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.
    It is my daily driver (my only driver) so I am stuck with whatever weather happens. I do not think rain when parked is a problem; it is when driving and the roads are wet. That is when the road crud builds up.

    I washed it all up earlier. I am glad I did.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  12. #11
    Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CS, TX
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    It is my daily driver (my only driver) so I am stuck with whatever weather happens. I do not think rain when parked is a problem; it is when driving and the roads are wet. That is when the road crud builds up.

    I washed it all up earlier. I am glad I did.
    Especially when the rain dries on the hood from the engine heat.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

  13. #12
    Registered User Redline927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,516
    wash it anyway, dont let the crap built up on it.

  14. #13
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    wash it anyway, dont let the crap built up on it.
    + Juan
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  15. #14
    Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CS, TX
    Posts
    4,884
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    + Juan
    That's clever.
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

  16. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    I always look at the weather forecast, but it doesnt matter to me if it rains a day after a wash it or not. I figure it's going to get diry anyway, and the dirt needs to come off. I do watch to see when it makes sense to wax the car. I hate spending a few hours cleaning/waxing only for it to rain the next day. When it comes time to wax it I like to have 4-5 sunny days in a row. Good luck




    (Garageless also )
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •