engine bay cleaning?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on engine bay cleaning? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My engine bay is filthy. I hate having to open my hood in front of people because they always comment ...

engine bay cleaning?

My engine bay is filthy. I hate having to open my hood in front of people because they always comment on how dirty it is all the time. I dont think I have ever cleaned it. What is the best way to? and what do I use?
    --Chris
    2011 DGM WRX hatch - Kartboy SS

04 WRX wagon - 304whp Mods - SOLD
    LISC #3
    www.longislandsubaruclub.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well one thing my dad tought me (and I don't know if it is the best) is to leave the engine running and scrub it by hand. The main thing is to try not to get water near the alternator. That's just my advice and what we have always done with cars and never had problems resulting from it
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

ya cover everything important with plastic bags/ trash bags... get some degreaser and go to work, then lightly wash everything down
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

I have never really had any success with "Gunk". I tend to use a cleaner, such as one for aftermarket rims, to clean the motor and other components. It works great and does not leave behind any residue. Try not to spray high pressure water in / or around the alternator or wiring harnesses. Afterwards, a rubber / plastic protectant or shine can be applied to the rubber hoses for an extra touch. You may want to use different size brushes too, for those hard to reach places.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

ODJ
    Quote Originally Posted by tayhadar1
    Well one thing my dad tought me...to leave the engine running and scrub it by hand. The main thing is to try not to get water near the alternator.
    With this procedure, I would've thought the main thing would be not to get your hand caught in the timing belt (but that's just me).
    UNSPOILT BY PROGRESS

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters
    I have never really had any success with "Gunk". I tend to use a cleaner, such as one for aftermarket rims, to clean the motor and other components. It works great and does not leave behind any residue. Try not to spray high pressure water in / or around the alternator or wiring harnesses. Afterwards, a rubber / plastic protectant or shine can be applied to the rubber hoses for an extra touch. You may want to use different size brushes too, for those hard to reach places.
    youre correct, you need to apply a protectant after washing the engine bay /using a degreaser. There is a protectant , wax like substance used at the factory when the car is built, which comes off when you use a degreaser. Here is product which replaces that protectant. http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-720.html

ClubWRX.net Vendor JnJassociates's Avatar
    303 makes a great cleaner that has a low pH. this way you don't have to worry about staining.

They also make a great protectant that can be used just about everywhere.

This is what we use when we detail a car.

Bryan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.