A day spent detailing (no 56k)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A day spent detailing (no 56k) within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; WARNING: long writeup. Not everything is photographed either. Since I've switched over to Zaino products probably close to two months ...

A day spent detailing (no 56k)

WARNING: long writeup. Not everything is photographed either.

Since I've switched over to Zaino products probably close to two months ago, I haven't spoken of the stuff much, or did any kind of write up. Well, I'll save you the bs and just get right to it, I happen to love the stuff, and finally, here is my writeup.

Here is what I used (sorry for the blurry pic). From left to right, z6 gloss enhancer, which is used between every single coat (and you will find out, I did a lot of coats), z2 polish, z5 swirl remover, z16 tire dressing.

All my towels and cloths (Megs white terry and megs mf)

The tiny blue bottle to the left is zfx flash cure additive, which makes the polish haze and bond a million times faster, so you dont have to wait 24 hrs between each coat, and you can apply multiple coats in a day. You have to mix with the z2 and z5 as per directions.
    The z5 is the greenish stuff, I used ~1oz, I only applied 2 coats because my paint wasnt really swirled, 2 coats was overkill. The pink is obviously z2. A little bit goes a long way.

I started by washing the car obviously, I dont have pics of that, I dont think you need them. First I applied the Z5 which i mixed with the ZFX. When you first apply it, it wont even look like its on the paint, and you will be concerned and want to put more on the applicator. But thats the way it should be, when it hazes up, you will see it better. Use back and forth motions on flat (horizontal) surfaces from the front of the car to the rear, and use top to bottom motion on the sides of the car. Here is a pic of the z5 as soon as it was applied. You can't really see it.

You can see it better after its hazed up a bit (this is ~ 15 min after application to whole car, and YES this can be applied in sunlight, actually seems to dry it quicker.

You can notice the front to back motion on the hood, then the up and down on the sides of the car

You know when its ready to be removed when you rub a finger through it, and it comes right off leaving a perfect shine underneath.

While it's drying, I do the wheels.
    First I use the tire shine, that way if any gets on the wheels, it will be wiped off in the next step. I use a dish sponge for the shine:

Next, a solution of simple green to clean the wheels, and nevrdull polish for the lip. Dont forget to use the polish on any other metal, like the exhaust. If you have wheels like mine where you can reach behind the spokes, CLEAN THERE, it looks a million times better:

I use Turtle Wax spray wax on my wheels to bring out some more shine. I know they make wheel waxes, but this seems to do the job for me and its easy to use.

By now, the Z5 is hazed and ready to be removed using a clean Megs white plush terry towel.

Now, its at about at this point during every detail job that a *****in bird convienantly sh*ts on your car.

ok a little Z6 and MF towel takes care of that...moving on.

After the z5 is removed, go over the car with z6 spray. This is a must, it rids the car of any streaks you may have left behind, and prepares the paint for the next step. I did one more coat of z5, then onto z2, just like I did the z5. Its applied the same way, removed the same way, with z6 in between. I did 3 coats of z2. Here it is applied:

You CAN use the same dressing for the tires on all your exterior plastics and trim, it does not get sticky, does not attract dust, or rub black on your skin /clothes. I LOVE this stuff. I use it on the black area right in front of the windshield, under mirrors, all trims, fog light housing, etc.

When you are done with the exterior, move onto vaccumming/cleaning the interior and do whatever you want with that, I wont really get into that now, maybe another thread. I also go ahead and do the windows with megs glass cleaner, and I think thats pretty much it. Stand back and admire your work, go take some pics.

Any questions, feel free.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Looks amazing man. I always enjoy your detailing threads. Very nice write up BTW. The only thing I was concerned about was the Turtle Wax wheel cleaner. Does that really work? I use the Meguiars NXT Insane Shine Tire Coating. It makes a mirror shine on your tires. I also have some window stripping that is in bad shape. Its cheap Dodge plastic, do you have any suggestions on how to get it back in good shape? I will post pics tomorrow to show you what I am talking about.

out of
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers
    Looks amazing man. I always enjoy your detailing threads. Very nice write up BTW. The only thing I was concerned about was the Turtle Wax wheel cleaner. Does that really work? I use the Meguiars NXT Insane Shine Tire Coating. It makes a mirror shine on your tires. I also have some window stripping that is in bad shape. Its cheap Dodge plastic, do you have any suggestions on how to get it back in good shape? I will post pics tomorrow to show you what I am talking about.

out of

no the wax is just regular turtle wax spray wax....not even wheel wax. but my wheels are painted , just like a car body, so why not? lol it works for me.

I have nxt insane shine too....and i hate it. after a day, there is always dirt, dust, gravel, etc stuck to the tire, its gross. and half of it flings onto the side of the car, even if you wipe the tire after applying. just my feeling about it.

Nice work Tyler, the work looks like it pays off.
    tim price
    Blobeye Syndicate #100

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    Okay here is what I was talking about. Is there anyway to fix this?

You can see my airconditoners in the window reflection.

Edit: Sorry picture is on a camera phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carstripping.jpg  
    Last edited by Death To Ricers; 06-13-2006 at 05:38 PM.
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks great as always!

Did you do this because the WRX got caught out in the rain?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Looks great as always!

Did you do this because the WRX got caught out in the rain?
    well, that and it was a nice day, its just what i like doing.

srt4 guy (whats your name? lol), mothers makes a product called "back to black" and ive heard good things about it. You can try that, or the zaino z16 that i use on my trim may do the trick. whatever you try, report back to us.

Here it is, its on this page, scroll down:

http://www.mothers.com/products/
    Last edited by Redline927; 06-13-2006 at 06:37 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Redline927
    well, that and it was a nice day, its just what i like doing.
    Days do not get any nicer.

I wished you lived closer - I would pay you to to help me shine the WRX up in a nanosecond!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Nice writeup! I love all the detailing threads, gets me in the detailing mood. All this Zaino stuff is confusing me and the z2, z7, z6, z1000 and whatnot. How do you know what to use?? I think I'll be sticking to Meg's III step for now (should be doing a writeup soon ) Keep it up, you da man!
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Awesome write-up... do you have any swirls in the WRB paint? I know our subaru paint/clear is quite soft.

your car is gorgious man

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousDX
    Awesome write-up... do you have any swirls in the WRB paint? I know our subaru paint/clear is quite soft.
    after that detail, no not really. you have to look hard under bright lights at night to see them. doesnt really matter, I have a whole lot of professional grade polishes and waxes coming soon, which will be applied with my porter cable 7336sp and several different cut pads. the surface is going to be pretty much flawless when im done, cant wait!
    Ive tried a hell of a lot of OTS products, and Ive never been to impressed with them. (there are still a few I will keep handy though)

Quote Originally Posted by black-boxer429
    your car is gorgious man
    thanks
    Last edited by Redline927; 12-24-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Shine looks awesome man On a side note....What kind of camera are you using?
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamnRex
    Shine looks awesome man On a side note....What kind of camera are you using?
    Canon EOS digital rebel

Nice write-up, your car is super clean. I've never tried Zaino before, been using Meguire's mostly. I think I'll give it a try. Btw, sent you a pm about the cf cover.
    NewEngland F4
    Pics, mods and other rides http://www.cardomain.com/ride/383213/1
    03 VF43'd WRX
    02 CBR 954RR
    87 Transam GTA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast