Cavallino's Product reviews Pt 1: basic exterior
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cavallino's Product reviews Pt 1: basic exterior within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so for my first review I'm going to cover all the products I use to wash the exterior of ...

Cavallino's Product reviews Pt 1: basic exterior

Ok so for my first review I'm going to cover all the products I use to wash the exterior of my car this will not include waxes and what not I'll post a review for that later.

Section 1: Paint

Mr. Clean auto dry
    While this product doesn't allow a dry free wash it does reduce the spots a lot and makes drying much easier. It's also very convenient since you don't need a bucket and it eliminates the risk of picking up dirt particles from the bucket. The machine itself isn't extremely expensive and the filters are like $7 each and last about 10 washes assuming you don't have really hard water. However a word of advice DO NOT USE THE SOAP THAT COMES WITH IT. It's the worst soap ever it gets dirt off pretty well but it strips wax instantly and stains anything it spills on. Let me say that again DO NOT USE THE SOAP THAT COMES WITH IT.

Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash
    This is simply the best soap I've tried yet. It's not super expensive, leaves a nice shine and reduces static which means less dust on the car later. The only thing is sometimes it can be hard to find. I usually just order 4 gallons at a time from Meguiars.com.

Meguiars NXT Quick Detailer
    This is more of an after wash maintenance thing. Most quick detailers are all pretty good I just use this one because I use all the meguiars NXT stuff. If you have a spot of birdpoop or tree sap use this to get it off. This can be found at any kragen type store

Section 2: Windows

Eagle one 20/20 Autoglass cleaner
    Not a whole lot too it here. I've tried a lot of window cleaners before this one is the best at cleaning very dirty windows without streaking. You can get it at any kragen.

50% water 50% windex solution
    This is my own creation that works well on lightly dirty windows. The water keeps the windex from drying out to quickly and streaking. This will not clean extremely dirty windows. For very dirty windows start with the eagle one and finish up with this to get it nice and streak free.

Section 3: Wheels

Simple Green
    I've just recently started using this on wheels. It works very well at cutting the brake dust. The best part is that it can be used for a lot of different things other than wheels, it's cheap and can be found almost anywhere.

Meguiars Hot Rims
    This works could for really tough dirt that simple green just won't cut. Don't use a ton of it its pretty strong stuff. Keep it away from the brakes. It's not too expensive and it can be found at any Kragen or pepboys etc.

Wheel brush
    Nothing to complex here. Any brand should do fine. It's really helps getting the dirt off the wheels especially in the hard to reach areas deeper in the wheel. NOTE: Don't use this on painted wheels it could scratch.

Section 4: Misc.

Armor all
    Armor all has been criticized a lot but thereís one and only one area where it works best, tires. Spray a generous amount on a paper towel and rub it on the tire. I like using this rather than the other tire shines because it doesn't gum up the tire, I've found that slot of the tire shines attract dirt and generally just make more of a mess. Armor All makes the tire look new not like you've sprayed a bunch of goop on it. You can buy this almost anywhere.

Mothers metal Polish
    Works great on all shiny metal pieces on the car, such as exhausts and badges. It works kind of like a wax. I put some on a paper towel or rag and apply it to the metal area. Then I take a terry cloth an "buff" it off. It really works well do this on your exhaust once a week and it will stay shiny for life.

Thatís it for this review I'll post reviews for interior cleaning and waxes/polishes later.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WOW! Thats almost the same system I use.
    the Mr. Clean works pretty well....still need to keep an eye out for drips and puddles, WRX's have a lot of little nooks and crannies that can be a real PITA.
    I've found the STP tire shine to be the best.
    nice dull shine....doesnt attract dust like the other products (macguires).
    I gotta say.....I figgin dig the new detailing forum

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Nice writeup!
    +1 for Meguiars NXT
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

use Mr. Cleans magic eraser to clean tires. to get all the old tire shine residue off before spraying on a fresh coat.
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    use Mr. Cleans magic eraser to clean tires. to get all the old tire shine residue off before spraying on a fresh coat.

Hmm I've been considering trying that. Either way I still don't like tire shines because it just looks fake. If that makes sense.
    FORZA FERRARI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX13oy
    This works well on anything greasy or oily (OT: such as the oils left by a large dog's fur on a white hallway wall...).

Once it starts disintegrating, let go emotionally and grab another pad though. I also wonder how healthy it is to breathe the dust that results sometimes, but in any case, the bald guy has come through again with this product. Recommended.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

My girlfriend got one and scrubbed a few walls in the house with the Mr. Clean eraser - the result - I had to repaint every wall she cleaned with it. I've seen other people have similar problems. On flat paint, they leave a different texture than the unwashed paint around it...only way to "fix" it is to paint over it again.

I know this is off-topic, but someone mentioned those erasers, and I wanted to let everyone know that they suck.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    The issue has got to be the flat paint then. I'm using them on semi-gloss white with great results, and have become a bald guy fan due to them mostly (some of his floor stuff is good too).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    Hmm I've been considering trying that. Either way I still don't like tire shines because it just looks fake. If that makes sense.
    Thats why I like the STP......doesnt look fake.....just looks like new...plus, it lasts longer.

Mr Clean Autodry= because it never does what it claims to do. The soap sucks, the sprayer in general is a POS, and it still leaves water spots....and it claims to make washing your car faster, but after you have to spray it with the spot free rinse crap 10 times and then go back and wipe back over the multiple places it does leave spots, it takes the same if not more time than a regular wash.
    Mr Clean Magic Eraser on wheels works pretty well tho...IMO
    -03 WR Blue WRX - -Cobb Stage 2 w/Uppipe and Intake-

Huh.....mr. clean has worked great for me......shaved lots of time of the wash. I agree that the soap could be better though.....they say not to use other soaps....I wonder if thats just to line thier own pockets more. After the deionized rinse....I dry the whole car real quick....dont get any spots. Even though the "no dry" claim is BS....still takes less time......for me.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    For the glass, better then Eagle One ( i do love eagle one products) is definetely ZEP. ZEP can be found at Home Depot. It either can be in a liquid form or a foam form.
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamnRex
    Mr Clean Autodry= because it never does what it claims to do. The soap sucks, the sprayer in general is a POS, and it still leaves water spots....and it claims to make washing your car faster, but after you have to spray it with the spot free rinse crap 10 times and then go back and wipe back over the multiple places it does leave spots, it takes the same if not more time than a regular wash.
    Mr Clean Magic Eraser on wheels works pretty well tho...IMO
    Yes I agree it doesn't do what it claims but id does reduce the water spots and it gets rid of the bucket which is definitely a plus.
    FORZA FERRARI

for glass I use NXT glass cleaner. Works the best for me so far. The only other thing I've tried is windex...looks fine and dandy until you drive on a cold night and your windows fog up, the streaks are INSANE .

good microfiber> * when doing windows.

as for mr clean. Ive tried it, and tried it again...the thing really sucks IMO. im for washing my car the old fashioned way, no shortcuts.

it does NOT dry on it own. filters are expensive as hell like you all mentioned.

been wanting to try megs metal polish....so expensive though (isnt it like $5 or $6 for a tiny can?)
    I use NevrDull, they are swabs that you rub on the metal, then wipe off with a clean towel. works great!

good write up cavallino

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927

as for mr clean. Ive tried it, and tried it again...the thing really sucks IMO. im for washing my car the old fashioned way, no shortcuts.

it does NOT dry on it own. filters are expensive as hell like you all mentioned.

They did come out with a new version of it that has different sprayers and works much better I think they call it the mr clean autodry pro. The thing I like about it is it gets rid of the whole bucket issue. With a bucket you always have a bit of dirt that can collect on the bottom, if this gets on the wash rag your using it can scratch the paint. Plus you always have the right amount of soap, with bucket I was always adding to much or too little. I still think that when used right in certain circumstances it has a huge advantage. Just don't expect to skip drying like it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Redline927

been wanting to try megs metal polish....so expensive though (isnt it like $5 or $6 for a tiny can?)
    I use NevrDull, they are swabs that you rub on the metal, then wipe off with a clean towel. works great!
    I bought a tin of the meguiars stuff the other day. When my mothers runs out I'm going to try it. I have some of the NevrDull as well, I like to use it on smaller things like badges.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 05-20-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast