Subaru WRX Forum banner

Car Wash Supplies

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FullMetalJolly 
#1 · (Edited)
Been looking through forums (mainly nasioc) for some tips on what products to use for a car wash. From what i've read, it seems that people tend to go WAY overboard with the products they use. Maybe i'm in the minority in this, because I do want to keep my car as mint as possible, but I feel like a lot of the extra stuff is unnecessary.

That being said, I'm looking for some advice on what to use for the normal car wash. In addition, for the winters to avoid any type of rusting from salt, was thinking of applying a wax or sealant, thoughts?

As of now i'm just looking to snow foam car, use the two bucket method to wash and then dry, and then possibly applying a wax or sealant. Then I was going to probably just apply some waterless wash product to bird poop and other random dirt that I want to quickly get off my car without giving it a full wash. Is this "enough" to maintain the paint and keep the car looking fresh?

#2 ·
I buy whatever wash/wax combo bottle is on sale at the auto parts store at the time of purchase. Last time, that was Turtle Wax. I wash the car maybe once per month (or every other) during the spring / summer / fall unless I get bird **** / tree sap on it (which I'll do a spot clean). During the colder months, if we get a day where it isn't going to drop below freezing overnight, I may hit one of the touchless car washes on the way home from work to get the halite residue off the vehicle, but since I park my vehicles outside, I don't want a wet car sitting in low temperatures.

I don't have show vehicles. A slight paint imperfection doesn't bother me. Honestly, I have better things to spend my time / money on. If I had a garage queen, it might be different, but it sits outside day in / day out (although, I do now have covered parking garage at work, so whatever vehicle I bring to work is covered for the 8-hour work day).

#4 ·
Happy to see I'm not the only one who is a "slacker" when it comes to obsessing about washing, waxing and protecting the paint.

I try to wash my car when it gets dirty in the spring, summer and fall . . . maybe once a week or every other week. Come Winter it can become more of a chore with the temps, salt and having to figure out when to wash it so it will stay clean for more than a few hours (i.e. not doing it right after a storm or before a storm).

I try not to worry too much about how clean it looks or if there are swirls in the paint . . . I figure it's a car meant to drive on a daily basis, not a priceless work of art (that said, I try to keep it looking halfway decent.)

#3 ·
Chemical Guys Pink Stuff is my daily wash, Zymol is my wax, Nu Finish is my polish.

If it's winter time I'll spring for Turtle Wax ICE spray. For the wheels I'll use Sonax wheel cleaner, exhaust gets never dull and then I hit the tires with Meguiar's endurance tire gel. I feel waterless is a waste of money. Grab a bucket, squirt the soap in and fill it with luke warm water and have fun.

For bird crap and such after you've washed and waxed, use Meguiar's quik detailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I am one of those annoying A-Holes that has to keep my car clean and takes products fairly seriously. I have made the switch to Chemical Guys products. I use there maxi suds soap, which is amazing at lifting dirt and grime. It has really helped with reducing the amount of swirl marks that I see on the car, it also leaves the car insanely glossy and smooth. I then follow up with their polymer quick detail sealant. The car beads water for weeks and weeks. For wax I use Collenite, but am planning on making the switch to having the car GTechniq coated.
I am going to try out some of their wheel cleaning products and sealant soon.

#7 ·
For winter prep, definitely apply a sealant. It will last longer than a wax. You could even top the sealant WITH wax for more shine.

But, keep in mind, only do a sealant if you're happy with how the paint looks. If you have a ton of crappy swirl marks or marring and seal it in, it'll be more difficult to correct because you'll have to use a more harsh wash to remove the sealant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.