Subaru WRX Forum banner

Bird crap destroyed my hood

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  estabro 
#1 ·
So long story short, my 2016 WRX had bird crap on the hood for about 3 weeks. I was out of state and didn't clean it before I left. I had the car washed yesterday and noticed it when I got home.

I went back today and asked them if their buffer could get the spots off the hood, and he said no because it had gone through the clear coat.

I guess my question is, since it's a lease, is that considered normal wear and tear like hood chips? Do I have other courses of action? I assume buying a new hood would be a waste of money since I still have 2 1/2yrs left on the lease.

Would taking it to the local Subaru dealer (I didn't buy it from them) and having their tech check it make any difference other than me paying them to tell me the same answer?

#5 ·
Unless it was an absurd amount of droppings I don't think you'd have any issues when you turn your car in. Even on a black car, you usually have to look at it at a certain angle to even notice it.

#9 ·
DO NOT start with a compound and an orange pad. Subaru paint is absurdly thin already. Start with a much less aggressive polish and pad combo and go up from there. You can make a HUGE difference with minimal effort.

And in the future, don't let crap sit on your paint. Even bugs guts will damage your paint. I keep a bottle of quick detailer and some microfibers in the car for just this reason.

#10 ·
Yes... Subaru paint is thin.. but bird crap that's been sitting for weeks also etches deeply. An orange pad with compound, polished back up with a white pad and polish and a jewling pad and wax will likely get it looking close to right again.

It's not like I told him to wet sand his hood, lol.

#11 ·
The point is that on paint this thin, compound and an orange pad can easily go through his clear coat. Especially if the etching has gone all the way through because the only way to polish it out 100% will be to get all of the etching out. Which means compounding all the way through the clear. Also, compound on an orange pas is VERY aggressive for paint this thin. Always start with the least aggressive option. That's detailing 101.

#12 ·
So since I am a newbie at cleaning my own car (I've always used local detailers) can you guys point me to products on Amazon or something I can buy?

I found the Meguillars Ultra Compound and a regular microfiber mini pad, but it sounds like that may be too much. Plus if I do that, I need to follow up with the Meguillars Ultra Polish and Wax. By that point, I am in almost $30 and debating if the local shop could fix it for almost the same price and way less labor on my end.

#13 ·
Local shop will be a way cheaper route if you don't already have your own buffer (~$200)

For future occurrences, I highly suggest a paint sealant such as Chemical Guys JetSeal, properly applied by a local shop. Bird poo will still eat through it, thanks to the uric acid, but at a much slower rate, so if it gets baked on for a day, you don't have to cry yourself to sleep.

#20 ·
Guys don't make this a personal issue - it is just some paint on a car. This isn't just a friendly request BTW.

I just spent 2 hrs. cleaning up glass from a table that broke in the yard because the umbrella blew cockeyed. I did that because I know my wife is going to have a big pity party over it even though we can easily afford a new one. People get upset when their **** gets torn up, just the way it is.

#22 ·
A dingo ate my baby. -- Flows like the thread title. Assuming thread will be locked, trying to add some humor...

#24 ·
I had this issue on mine from a previous owner. I used a clay bar, then a good compound, and then wax. You can't tell that there was ever anything there. If that doesn't work, you may be able to very lightly wet sand it. If you do not feel comfortable with this, take it to a professional.

Everyday I knew that cancer was losing and I was winning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.