Subaru WRX Forum banner

Touch up paint from subi speed

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bowman117 
#1 ·
I wanted to know if any of you guys have tried the touch up paint from the subi speed website? I scratched the bottom of my crystal white pearly wrx and you can't see it but it kills me to know that its their. so wanted to try to cover it up with the touch up paint they offer at subi speed but wanted to know if any of you guys have tried it out?

#2 · (Edited)
The stuff on Subispeed is OEM, so you can get it from your dealer as well. I have used some on my crystal white pearl and it works ok. It's a two parter, with a little touch up pen for the paint on one end and a small foam brush for the clear coat on the other. As long as it isn't in too conspicuous of a location it works well. I'm sure a buff and wax afterward would really help, but I haven't got that far yet on the tiny chips I've worked on.

#4 ·
I took a nice little chunk of paint off my rear bumper when my basket ball goal fell behind me during a storm. Was hell to touch up.

The oem Subaru paint is too watery, it took like 6 coats to make the black plastic look white and by then it wasn't smooth looking. Purchased paint from automotive touch up, first shipment didn't match at all, the replacement "almost" matched but too white. It had base and a mid coat with the sparkle flakes.

In the end I used 1 coat of the base white from automotive, then 2 coats of subaru oem and then clear on top of that made it match the best.

IMO if you just get a generic white for the base and then put subaru oem over it, that will probably give good results. I took it off and re-painted probably a dozen times before I got it mostly invisible unless you look for it and are within 5ft of the car. When dirty it's 100% invisible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.