Hey everyone, so after a rather horrible winter here in New England, the snow has finally melted! I decided to give my car a quick interior detail the other day (ill wait until it warms up for a deep clean) and I noticed some terrible looking, dry salt stains on my drivers side carpeting where my all weather mats lacked in coverage. I tried tons of different methods, boiling water, soap and water, carpet cleaner (by itself), brushes, all with no luck, I had read somewhere that a solution of vinegar and water does the trick but I chose not to try this as I was concerned about the smell. Anyways, I finally figured out a way to completely remove the salt very easily and I never saw any other mention of it online. So here it is:

1. lightly rub the salt spots with your hand to remove any loose salt/dirt then Vacuum the area very well

2. Apply Steam to each spot for about one minute. I used a Shark Hardwood floor steam mop on the highest setting, holding it tight to each spot. You could also use an iron, just don't touch it to the carpet.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	194233

3. Apply carpet cleaner immediately following the steam and let it sit for about a minute, then rub each spot with a sponge. Pat dry with a rag/paper towels. This is the cleaner I used and it worked great, but i'm sure any would do the trick.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2293.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	194225

That's it! I know this is nothing spectacular but I thought it was worth a quick write up. Good luck!