Washing The Car IN The Winter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Washing The Car IN The Winter within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone! I usually like to wash the car once every 2 weeks when it's warm, but with all of ...

Washing The Car IN The Winter

Hey everyone!

I usually like to wash the car once every 2 weeks when it's warm, but with all of the damn snow and ice and salt and dirt laying around my OCD is bugging me and I don't want my Rex to think I don't love her anymore...

Anyway, with that said, anything you recommend or suggest for washing the **** out of the car inside and out and then having it stay in a VERY cold garage overnight and during the day?

Is there any specific soap you suggest or no? I usually just use very warm water and tons of super soft clothing scraps, but I heard Japanese cars have cheaper paint and actually need good soap and other stuff.

Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    For the winters up here in NJ I hose it off when I can and I try to use the wash boots. If you can find a complete touchless carwash I would go there to get rid of the salt from the undercarriage.

I have been using chemical guys products and I have had a lot of luck with them.

if its close to freezing I just do for a rinse otherwise you will have to be quick before it starts to ice up.

I do a modified version of this during the winter
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

ok thanks man!

Yea I've just been lightly washing it off and slowly (slow as some ****) wiping it off but focusing on one part at a time so nothing starts to ice up.

I try to avoid car-washing places since I wanna save money and I like to avoid strangers touching my car as much possible since I'm extra special about those things...

I Support ClubWRX
    I would use a soap that foams up a lot that way it helps to lift off more of the crud on the car. Subaru paint is softer you dont want to rub that salt all over in your car. It will happen you cant stop it if its your daily driver but just try to minimize it
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Cobb Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Pads & Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley | Perrin Cold Air Intake

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX Build

I use the DIY coin op wash and when it's a bit warmer do an ONR wash.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on how cold the garage actually gets...

If you don't have to worry about sub-freezing temperatures, don't think twice about washing the car. An attached garage should have enough insulation that this is not a concern (regardless of typical VA temperatures). A detached garage is going to be more likely that you'll want to wait to wash the car for warmer days.

I don't have garage access, so unless it's going to be well above freezing the next 24-48 hrs, it doesn't get washed.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ok thanks everyone!

That's a helpful video. I'll make sure to get the best and most foamy soap ever lol.

My garage is attached to the house but it has a concrete floor and gets VERY cold... like colder than outside...

Oh and thanks Soloz2!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Germz to Japz View Post
    I try to avoid car-washing places since I wanna save money and I like to avoid strangers touching my car as much possible since I'm extra special about those things...
    Thus the reason they suggested a touchless car wash.
    You might have to look around a bit for one. It's about $5-ish, and a gantry scans back and forth over and around the car, using only spray nozzles to clean the car, so only water and soap touches the car. There are no fabric rollers or bristles that touch the car in any way.

I've found they do a perfectly acceptable job cleaning winter crud off the car, and no swirls or scratches.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I'm not as OCD as I used to be...maybe it's me getting older. I live in Michigan. I'm all about convenience and getting the salt & grime off. I drive my car through a carwash with two people at the end who dry it by hand. It takes 5 minutes $5-$7 and I don't have to lift a finger. Plus they clean my rims and tires. I'd rather do that than let salt and other crap sit on my paint or freeze my a$$ off. In the spring I detail it once. No big deal. Maybe once more in fall. I've even done this with black cars. Your paint will never be perfect.

Thanks all!

Haha yea I didn't notice the "touch-less" part in your post, silly me.

JaySin I know what you mean, but maybe it's just me, I don't like sitting in a car and watching other people clean it for me. Not that it's an insult or hurting my ego or manhood, but I just feel kinda weird or guilty about it. But that's just me.

I just rather clean it myself, it makes me feel better, even if it takes a little bit longer and I get all soapy and wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Germz to Japz View Post
    Thanks all!

Haha yea I didn't notice the "touch-less" part in your post, silly me.

JaySin I know what you mean, but maybe it's just me, I don't like sitting in a car and watching other people clean it for me. Not that it's an insult or hurting my ego or manhood, but I just feel kinda weird or guilty about it. But that's just me.

I just rather clean it myself, it makes me feel better, even if it takes a little bit longer and I get all soapy and wet.
    I take care of the guilt by tipping. I'd probably agree with you 100% about 10 years ago. I think once I hit 27-30 I started getting 'car lazy'. I just can't get myself to wash my car when it's -10 to 20F outside. Ugh.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I usually just spray it off with a hose. Top and underneath. Then I'm done with it lol. My car usually dosn't get washed in the winter, but in Tennessee there's typically not much to worry about as far as salt and rust. And even in the summer you're very unlikely to get me outside to wash my car or anyone else's lol.

I'd go touchless unless you have an old car with brittle paint or pinstriping...lol. yeah...

Yea wreckingball man that's usually what I do, just rinse it with warm water and wipe it off in the Winter... but recently it has just gotten WAY too ****ing dirty for my taste...

Cold doesn't bother me that much because I'm fluffy... Oh and Jaysin I just turned 21 so maybe that's why I'm being anal about it haha.

Thank you both for the responses!

I love in Virginia and contantly get snow in the winter. I clean the undercarriage and wheel wells when I'm done driving for the day to completely get rid of the salt build up. I recommend a good pressure nozzle to do so. The only trouble with using self serve car washes is you have to drive back home on the roads. After washing wipe down the wheel wells and cover it up to avoid any ice particle build up and it'll keep it nice and winter safe.

I love in Virginia too! <3

Haha thanks for the tip though!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.