Strange Haze on Windshield When Wet
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Strange Haze on Windshield When Wet within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I've been trying to get my windshield clean but I've encountered some sort of cloudy haze on the ...

Strange Haze on Windshield When Wet

Hi guys, I've been trying to get my windshield clean but I've encountered some sort of cloudy haze on the outside that only shows up when it's wet.

It looks perfectly clean inside and out until I put water or a cleaner on it, then I see what looks like water deposits or something. It's not sticky or oily that I can tell, I can really only see it, not feel it.

I've tried windex, vinegar, and polishing compound variously on microfiber cloths, newspaper, and paper towels. It looks unchanged despite all I've tried.

Short of getting new glass, do you guys have any recommendations?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My wife's car ('08 Civic) was parked in a underground garage that leaked rainwater that had filtered through the soil and concrete ceiling in Seattle, where it rained a lot. She had some serious mineral deposits from all that crap on her windshield, and I tried CLR, Vinegar/dishsoap, razor blades, and serious elbow grease...nothing would work.

I tried Bar Keepers Friend powdered cleanser/polish as a last resort, and while it hasn't gotten rid of everything, it worked better than anything else I tried. I have a feeling more applications of it would eventually clean it off. Just had to wet down the windshield, and then sprinkle it over and use a hard sponge or polishing mitt to rub that stuff around. You have to be VERY CAREFUL to not get it on your paint, and rinse it off fairly quickly and with excess water.

Obviously YMMV, but that was my last resort to replacing her windshield.

E: Oh, I found Bar Keepers Friend at Walmart down here in NC, so try your luck and see if they have it there.
    '15 DGM WRX
    Fuelly (MPG Tracking)

mine has the same problem that haze isnt terrible but deff noticeable. i havent tried cleaning it yet because it hasnt bothered me enough lol
    2005 WRX PSM l UEL aftermarket headers l Invida Catless DP l nameless Catback exhaust l cobb SF intake l Cobb Accessport V2B l Wingless Debadged Black trunk l XXR 527 Chromium Black 18x8.75 l Cobb Stage 2

For me it's only a problem when it rains.

The windshield is perfectly clear dry, but as soon as it gets wet I can't see **** even with the wipers on full blast.

Some of the deposits were visible when it wasn't wet, some of them were only visible when wet (and made for a horrible driving experience). Looked like water deposit scaling when wet, and it's vastly improved since I hit it with the BKF.

I'm honestly wondering if there's anything out there that would work better, myself. So if you find anything, post here!
    '15 DGM WRX
    Fuelly (MPG Tracking)

I have used BKF in the past with success as well. I always make a tincture with warm water so it thoroughly dissolves, and I would recommend a new set of blades at the same time. I am sure there are other good ideas out there though....
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

mine isnt that bad. hmmm weird
    2005 WRX PSM l UEL aftermarket headers l Invida Catless DP l nameless Catback exhaust l cobb SF intake l Cobb Accessport V2B l Wingless Debadged Black trunk l XXR 527 Chromium Black 18x8.75 l Cobb Stage 2

I'll have to give the bar keepers friend a try. Also going to try plain soap and water.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.