Dog Hair!?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dog Hair!?!? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I have been pretty idle on the forums lately and been doing a lot of this and that with ...

Dog Hair!?!?

So, I have been pretty idle on the forums lately and been doing a lot of this and that with the car. The first time I cleaned the car I noticed a few dog hairs in the cracks of the back seat. I pulled them out and went on with my cleaning. I kept noticing them here and there in the hard to reach crevices. After pulling my center console out of the way while doing my shifter install, I had noticed A LOT of hair in between the seats. That was a solid indication that the last owner had dogs riding in the car. Well, me being me, I had to get rid of this. I saw a few videos and "remedies" online and tried these myself. Today I pulled my driver and passenger seat out and went to town. I used a shopvac,I used duct tape, I used a brush, and I tried using a rubber glove too.. no really solid results that satisfied me. I got about 70-80% of what was embedded into the carpet but one can not simply un-see what they have saw. Knowing about the hairs being stuck in carpet is driving me up the wall.

Does anyone have any secrets on how to REALLY get the hair out of the carpet on these cars? Should I break down and pay a detailer to do it for me? (I am not really a fan of paying someone to do something that I feel I can do myself) Here in the town I live in, we dont really have many choices for detailing. I keep my car very clean and I pride myself on how clean I keep it. This dog hair however; its really starting to aggravate me. lol

Please, any suggestions are welcome. I am inclined to try anything that I can do myself before I spend money to get it taken care of.

Thank you in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Honestly if you couldn't get it out it'd be pointless to pay a detailer for the same results. Might be something that you'd need to keep up on and over time it'll get out
    Stinkeye member 520

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would suggest to try another type of sticky removal.
    Something stronger from 3m, I use there auto body tape, which is double sided and super sticky.
    You can buy it most anywhere, I think the last time I ordered some it was from Amazon.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

My husky travels with me a lot, and leaves his hair all over. My vacuum cleaner has a hand held carpet/upholstery tool that gets most of the hair that is woven into carpet threads. Only problem with it is that it didn't work well on curved surfaces.

Tweezers.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Tweezers.
    That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment... You don't seriously use that for Bing do you?

This is one area where leather interior really shines. Nothing for the hairs to embed into, although my dog rides in the cargo area, which has a plastic mat.

That said, for our cloth couch, I use our Dyson Animal with the power head attachment. It really does an excellent job of pulling up pet hair. I've heard baking soda helps loosen pet hair, and it will also remove any odors. Just sprinkle it around where the hair is, wait a while, then vacuum it up. My wife uses that on our dog's bed and blankets.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I have a husky that rides with me some times.. Air compressor works great!!
    When did we stop being who we want to be, and start being the person the world told us to be...

Stink Eye Mob #801
    Instagram: Infamouszoltan
    InfamousZoltanSTi

Thank you all for the input! I will keep these in mind next time I try to get rid of the hair. I might even look for this "pet hair removing stone" saw someone use it on youtube, seemed to work well.. however our carpet is black and this dog hair is white.. it sticks out like a sore thumb

If worst comes to worst I may get the carpets professionally cleaned. =/

This is what I saw demonstrated on youtube, but IDK how will it will help with getting the hair that has embedded itself between the fibers of the carpet
    http://www.amazon.com/Fur-Zoff-00003...t+hair+remover

I need to check other cheap options.. I will also try the air compressor!

http://www.amazon.com/Evriholder-FUR...ustomerReviews

I have also been recommended by a coworker to try something like this.. I am more inclined to try this before that rough abrasive thing.. I don't want to mess up the carpet any more than I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment... You don't seriously use that for Bing do you?

This is one area where leather interior really shines. Nothing for the hairs to embed into, although my dog rides in the cargo area, which has a plastic mat.

That said, for our cloth couch, I use our Dyson Animal with the power head attachment. It really does an excellent job of pulling up pet hair. I've heard baking soda helps loosen pet hair, and it will also remove any odors. Just sprinkle it around where the hair is, wait a while, then vacuum it up. My wife uses that on our dog's bed and blankets.
    Bing's hair is black...interior is black...Winning!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

We bring our small dog wherever we go during the weekends so there's no doubt there would be dog hairs in the car seats. What I do is use a small vacuum cleaner for the flat surfaces. For curved areas, like you, I use duct tapes to stick the hairs. They work good on removing the hairs but it requires some time before I finish removing all the hairs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.