for those with the griot polisher
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on for those with the griot polisher within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys couple questions i got the griot polisher both the 3 and the 6 and got a few questions ...

for those with the griot polisher

hey guys couple questions
    i got the griot polisher both the 3 and the 6 and got a few questions
    1. Can i just wash the car and then wax with the orbital polisher? or must i clay first
    2. If i polish the car and put optiocoat 2.0 do i still need to put wax on it or i'm ok for a while

products are all by griots garage. please dont tell me to get more stuff.

thank you

another thing she got the the blue foam support pad with polish and wax removal cloth. do i have keep switching like polish a panel then put it on to removal cloth wax a panel and then put on a removal cloth or can i polish the whole car and then use the polish removal cloth, wax the whole car and use the wax removal cloth? thank you
    Last edited by jling0311; 05-01-2014 at 10:09 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would run the clay over the car before waxing with an orbital.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Definitely clay before anything, especially if you've never done so. Claying pulls off any small particles of dirt that are "stuck" on your surface, smoothening out the whole car. You should be polishing before waxing, as polish is often slightly abrasive (that's the point of it) and removes wax. As the point of Opticoat is to "say goodbye to waxing!" you "should be" ok without waxing. My guess is that adding wax on top of the Opticoat will get your car looking hazy, almost like you smeared hand cream all over it.

Out of curiosity, why did you get both the 3" and 6"? Seems unnecessary if you were worried about the more narrow areas of your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Pyro View Post
    Definitely clay before anything, especially if you've never done so. Claying pulls off any small particles of dirt that are "stuck" on your surface, smoothening out the whole car. You should be polishing before waxing, as polish is often slightly abrasive (that's the point of it) and removes wax. As the point of Opticoat is to "say goodbye to waxing!" you "should be" ok without waxing. My guess is that adding wax on top of the Opticoat will get your car looking hazy, almost like you smeared hand cream all over it.

Out of curiosity, why did you get both the 3" and 6"? Seems unnecessary if you were worried about the more narrow areas of your car.
    I would think it wouldn't matter but just add extra protection. But then again if you're using an abrasives it would eat through the coat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I would think it wouldn't matter but just add extra protection. But then again if you're using an abrasives it would eat through the coat

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Even the most abrasive polishers only "eat" through micrometers of clear coat though. If your clear coat absolutely sucks (or is very aged) you're more likely to eat through and past it. The whole point of polishing is to remove scratches/swirl marks, and to do that, you have to eat through however many micrometers of clear the scratches are into. If your car is new and you're just getting rid of swirl marks, you can use a very low abrasiveness polish like ScratchX, SwirlX, or Meguiar's M205.

my girlfriend got me the 3 and the 6 cuz i have a bike too and thanks for the info.

I would clay first. I run 5.5" pads on my 6" gg. Great unit. I have used it to polish and apply wax, works like a charm. Do not apply your coating with it though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

another thing she got the the blue foam support pad with polish and wax removal cloth. do i have keep switching like polish a panel then put it on to removal cloth wax a panel and then put on a removal cloth or can i polish the whole car and then use the polish removal cloth, wax the whole car and use the wax removal cloth? thank you

bump

You need to let the wax fully cure before you remove it. You should polish a panel at a time until you're done, wait for the wax to dry fully (time varies depending on the product and ambient temperature), then remove the product.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but I think you should do a little more research on using the orbital buffer and general detailing before going to town on your car. Detailing isn't rocket science, but you do need to know the basic do's and don'ts so you don't harm your car. I think your Griot's stuff should have come with a little book and a DVD which would be a good start.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.