Spilled some water

This is a discussion on Spilled some water within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This may not be the best place to post this, but it didn't seem to fit in any of the ...

Spilled some water

This may not be the best place to post this, but it didn't seem to fit in any of the other forums.

A gallon of water managed to spill into my footwell of my back passenger area. I travel for work, so I don't have access to a garage full of stuff. Currently I have some towels on the floor, trying to soak it up. I would park it with the windows down, but it's raining here right now. What is the best way to dry it out quickly? Should I be worried about rust or mold?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Mold would probly be your immediate worry. I have a friend who had leaking windows. Best (not the fastest or most unique) way we've found to dry out carpet that smells and/or is damp is to just take it out and let it sit for a day or two. Obvious solution I guess. Both the car and carpet can "air-out."

I wouldn't think rust would be too much of a worry. Friend waited a year to fix his windows and no rust all that time and no rust now so...I don't know. I wouldn't worry about it, just open your windows when you can and do what you're already doing with the towels.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it stops raining here soon, so I can let her dry out.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease. I'll keep up with the towels for now.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have probably deposited over 10 gallons of water into my driver's side footwell over the years by getting in with snow on my feet. It will dry out. Just be happy that you didn't spill a gallon of soda or something else besides water

I Support ClubWRX
    We all know the answer to this

But seriously I would get a small fan and a power inverter if you have one and when you drive around keep the fan on. If you have that a long enough extension chord plug it in when your at home to power the fan. I accidentally left my passenger window open in my old Honda while there was an overnight snow and I had an interesting morning the next day it wasnt a gallons worth of snow but I was freaking out luckily things were fine from what I could tell.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX

Damn, I'm all out of Shamwow's... The towels I put down last night actually did a really good job. It's just a little moist now. I'm going to put some fresh ones in now and let them keep doing their thing.

You're right 11blacksti, I am glad it wasn't something like soda or juice. I've had this gallon of water just sitting back there since the last time I went hiking in the desert. I should have taken it out a long time ago, I was just lazy. Next time I'll know.

Thanks everyone who replied. Two days of towels and driving with the windows down and it's completely dry back there. The carpet actually looks cleaner.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Get some Damp-Rid, the ones you hang in your closet, and hang it on the back of your seat.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I've never seen that product, but I'm going to the store tonight. I'll pick some up and see how it does. Thanks!