Detailing a new WRX

This is a discussion on Detailing a new WRX within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just recently ordered a new 2014 plasma blue pearl WRX and just have a couple questions. I've already told ...

Detailing a new WRX

I just recently ordered a new 2014 plasma blue pearl WRX and just have a couple questions. I've already told the dealership to just take the plastic off and I'll clean it myself so I don't have to worry about them messing it up that bad, but it probably will be dirty. My questions are:

1.) How in-depth should I get with this first cleaning? (refering mostly to exterior obvi.). Would a wash/clay/wax do or should I wash/clay/polish/sealant/wax instead. I imagine it isn't going to be that bad scratch/swirl wise since it's new, just wondering what people would do as soon as they took it home from the dealership.

2.) I have detailed before but never real seriously, I've always used one type of buffing pad on an orbital, never thought of using any different. If I should polish I assume one of the lightest "cutting" pads with be the best? (would be using Ardex stereo glaze #2 polish)

3.) What would be a good wax for this color? I'd be willing to spend around 30 bucks on something.

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Don't let the dealership touch the car as far as cleaning goes.

If the paint is like new, as it should be...wax it! I use Klasse, which is an acrylic wax and paint sealant method instead of conventional wax. I have used it with great results, and depending on how many coats of sealant you apply will determine how long it will last. It's my once a year car wax.

And for a tip when you wax....go in straight lines as the wind travels across the car, NOT circular motion. If you get any abrasive material in your applicator, you will be causing swirls which can be seen from almost any angle. However, if you do "swirl" the paint in straight lines, the it can only be seen from a few angles, hiding the damage better.

Amazon has a decent deal on a Klasse starter kit, which will last quite a while. Also, if you go this route and possibly other waxes, buy an instant detailer like Mothers. This aids in the waxing process, believe me! And it's recommended by Klasse. Hope this helps!

I Support ClubWRX
    Claybar before anything else. There will be some contaminants on the paint regardless. Being new paint the claybar process will be a breeze.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the help guys, @tesla317 ohh believe me, I told them numerous times not to do anything except just take the plastic off of it. The salesman seemed like he thought I was crazy, like it was such a weird and rare request? lol But i will look into that Klasse, thanks for the recommendation

@sasquatch definitely planned on claybaring it. Stopped by to take a look at/test drive/do paperwork yesterday and it was very clean without anything being done to it yet. So I'm thinking I might just do a claybar/wax and maybe a light polish in there if I feel like it needs it.

So I have a relatively new wrx... already got some chips. At which point in this whole process would you apply touch up? I know people are like "chips add character" but it hurts too much to look at it...

Also is Klasse a simple wipe on type of deal? Or do you need a buffer to apply?

Use plenty of lubricant while clay barring - Subaru paint is pretty sticky and it likes to grab certain clay types.

Just finished doing a claybar and wow! My polishing towel by the end had purple/black marks on it... even after I washed my car! :P. I then used the klasse kit off of amazon, both all in one and gloss finish... man the paint feels better than when I first picked up the car.

I'm sold! But, I don't have a buffer and did everything by hand. I noticed yesterday that if I angled just right, I can see light streaks