Debadge Removed Clearcoat plz help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Debadge Removed Clearcoat plz help. within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last year i removed the Sym-AWD badge and it was easy peasy with rubbing alcohol, a dryer and a ...

Debadge Removed Clearcoat plz help.

So last year i removed the Sym-AWD badge and it was easy peasy with rubbing alcohol, a dryer and a sham... this time a year later not so much... I had no goo gone, and I used a "Car sponge" like the idiot I am.. I scratched off the clear coat by how hard i was rubbing.. on the IMPREZA I have a bit of ghosting which i think i can polish out... but plz help with the huge scratch.. I am a detailing/paint noob.. here are some pics.. oh and I already tried that Turtlewax Polish/scratch remover paste.. didnt work.

Attachment 115315
    Attachment 115316

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oh and PS. I got off all the residue... that bad ghost lettering is actually clear coat that was saved from the sponge under the goop i couldnt get off....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is going to be hard to fix if at all. I used the same paste when I did mine with the same results. I brought the car to a body shop and they said it was through the clear. End result......I rebadged. That turtle wax paste is terrible and even if you take it easy this is bound to happen

If you have a friend that is good with a high speed buffer (a good dealt buffer or the like) see if they can take care of that with some detailing compound. If not then looks like the car will need paint.
    2011 5-Dr SWP WRX Limited
    1999 Titanium Silver BMW M3 - SOLD

That should polish out without an issue but you need to try a high speed buffer with some polishing compound. You are not through the clear coat. You should probably take it to a professional detailer at this point or, like Bschmehl715 said, find a friend who can help you out. If you were closer, I would help you out
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Yeah...it won't polish out, at least permanently. Only fix would be to respray the trunk lid.

Ask me how I know.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ask me how I know haha

I Support ClubWRX
    That's Cake to fix, don't trip.

I already tried that Turtlewax Polish/scratch remover paste.. didnt work.
    That **** sux. They sell it to noobs to make money.

Looks like you just scratched the clear coat without scratching through, you can buff it out.

You may need some 1200 grit, a high speed buffer, a compound pad, a polishing pad, compound and polish.

If this sounds like greek to you, a body shop can fix it without respray for cheap, $100 or less.

If you want to DIY, you need:

Sander/Polisher - 7 Speed Electric Sander & Polisher
    7-1/2" Wool Buffing Pad
    9" Black Foam Polishing Pad
    Amazon.com: 3M 03900 Rubbing Compound - 8 oz.: Automotive
    Meguiar's M20508 Ultra Finishing Polish - 8 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well ok, I never bothered to try all of that...but mine was also UGM color, so it barely showed anyway
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I have extensive professional detailing experience, and can say without a doubt this is going to be safer, cheaper, and easier for a professional detailer to fix. Find a good detailer and have them take care of it. You can really get in deep if you start playing around with a rotary polisher and wet sanding, and given your experience already, I'd strongly recommend against you handling this on your own.

thanks for the input guys. much much appreciated. felt like I was gunna puke when it happened will look around for a good detailer.

was such a bad end to a great few days. Went to the Big Northwest Subaru Meet, bought myself the Cobb SF Intake, got it all installed, love it, and I go full retard on the back of my car. at least I didnt do all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance1218 View Post
    was such a bad end to a great few days. Went to the Big Northwest Subaru Meet, bought myself the Cobb SF Intake, got it all installed, love it, and I go full retard on the back of my car. at least I didnt do all that much.
    You never go full retard!
    2011 5-Dr SWP WRX Limited
    1999 Titanium Silver BMW M3 - SOLD

Hahahaha. I love that phrase

What part of Washington are you in? I might be able to recommend someone depending on where you live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast