From opti-coat to 22PLE

This is a discussion on From opti-coat to 22PLE within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had decided to try for a different look and after many questions from some of the top detailers I ...

From opti-coat to 22PLE

I had decided to try for a different look and after many questions from some of the top detailers I could ask I decided on 22PLE VX1 Pro glass coating. This is not any better than opti-coat, but it has a bit of a more glassy look. It's not slick much like OC is not slick either. However, I just wanted to try something new for both any future customers as well as to have personal experience.

22PLE has a life span of about 18-24 months, but I have read some believe it would go 3 years under garage kept conditions. It's a silica based coating. You can actually feel the applicator harden over the curing process (total time to cure is 5 days, driving time is 8 or so hours). I have yet to find any info on thickness, or hardness ratings, but it does feel quite hard on the pad. It can be waxed over if you want to add more look to it, though I don't think you would find a better look IMO.

I stripped off the OC and also a lot of orange peel from my car that I didn't get when I initially polished it. It came out nicely and after the coating was added it looked as such:

2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's hard to tell the difference over the pics but either way the car looks great. I'm pretty content with my OC 2.0, being a weekend enthusiast it suits my purposes just fine. Plus I want to use up the rest of my syringe before trying something else.

If you like a slick finish and a deep wet gloss I would highly recommend to you Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. It is by far the slickest and wettest-looking sealant I have personally seen or used. Definitely worth topping your coating with it even if it only lasts a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlax2485 View Post
    It's hard to tell the difference over the pics but either way the car looks great. I'm pretty content with my OC 2.0, being a weekend enthusiast it suits my purposes just fine. Plus I want to use up the rest of my syringe before trying something else.

If you like a slick finish and a deep wet gloss I would highly recommend to you Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. It is by far the slickest and wettest-looking sealant I have personally seen or used. Definitely worth topping your coating with it even if it only lasts a month or two.
    Nothing wrong with OC at all... I just simply wanted to try something else to be able to give first hand info to customers.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I also switched from OC this year. After light polishing, I applied two coats of Wolf's Hard Body. The biggest change was much more gloss. Also...the beading was amazing. Six months later there is very little of it left. Disappointing!
    22ple has good reviews, so I'll try that next, topped with Esoteric Signature Wax. Here's a photo after applying
    Wolf's: