Removing dealership grease?

This is a discussion on Removing dealership grease? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my wrx is about a year old now and all that grease the dealership put in the engine bay, ...

Removing dealership grease?

So my wrx is about a year old now and all that grease the dealership put in the engine bay, gas door, trunk area is looking pretty dirty. I guess they put it there for rust proofing unroll the car is sold? Anyway I'm sure its doing more harm than good now. What's the best way to remove this stuff? I don't want to wipe it off as the dirt may scratch the paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Simple green as per the excellent "how to safely clean engine bay" instructions from Sasquatch (whom Bubbles refers to as "Samsquanch"). Test inconspicuous area first. See my disclaimer below too before proceeding.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Gobs of grease? You'll likely need to start with dry clean rag using common sense not to rub too hard, then hit it with some solvent. The engine bay cleaning sticky will take it from there. How to safely clean an engine bay This thread is full of common sense.

Greasing the parts described is tricky, only requiring small amounts of grease at the contact points. Does not say much about the service department who let them out the door like that.

Bubbles? Samquanch? ??
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-06-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    A beloved character from the reality social drama, Trailer Park Boys, refers to Sasquatch as "Samsquanch" for unknown reaasons. He too is a guitarist coincidentally. I digress.

You are right about the rags. I had trouble with caked grease on a bike motor recently and had to go back and brush off the globs first. Once that's done though up-keep only requires Simple Green and hosing so the hard step was only needed the first time.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The 'grease' is on all the painted surfaces and is not used for lubrication. I just assumed it was for rust or something (why I brand new car would need this beats me). I read your sticky before I posted and love using common sense but even with all my googling I haven't seen anyone address this issue. So I figured I'd post to see if anyone else has dealt with this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx frog View Post
    The 'grease' is on all the painted surfaces and is not used for lubrication. I just assumed it was for rust or something (why I brand new car would need this beats me). I read your sticky before I posted and love using common sense but even with all my googling I haven't seen anyone address this issue. So I figured I'd post to see if anyone else has dealt with this.
    Oh ... sounds like some seriously sloppy work on their part. Dealers may add rustproofing to jack up the cost of a car. Pure profit for them. Rustproofing is no longer needed and can increase corrosion issues if they block factory water drainage holes with the rustproofing goo. Have you asked them why it is all over the place? I'd have them clean it up and check the drainage holes. Post up some images - I'd like to see what it looks like.

I specify common sense as there are those who do not use it.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Oh ... sounds like some seriously sloppy work on their part. Dealers may add rustproofing to jack up the cost of a car. Pure profit for them. Rustproofing is no longer needed and can increase corrosion issues if they block factory water drainage holes with the rustproofing goo. Have you asked them why it is all over the place? I'd have them clean it up and check the drainage holes. Post up some images - I'd like to see what it looks like.

I specify common sense as there are those who do not use it.
    I'll take a picture before I clean her, right now I'm on vacation so it'll be a couple days. I don't think I did a good enough explaining this but I'm curious as to why I seem to be the only one with this.

The 'grease' was purposely put on every painted surface under the hood except the hood itself. In the gas door same thing, trunk has it on every painted surface to including the trunk lid. Which was pretty annoying cause I'd grab the trunk lid to open it and get a handful of this stuff. It is not rust proofing like the stuff you put under the car... I just assumed it was for rust proofing it may not be. The stuff looked like petroleum jelly when it was new. Like I said ill post a pic later, maybe its a Canada thing?

Heres a few pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1373556916153.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1373556958836.jpg  

That's a good job for Simple Green (or any other safe degreaser) and a large paint brush. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then agitate with the brush, and rinse it off. As with all engine bay work, the lower the water pressure, the better.

Feel blessed, BMW's and Mini's a plagued with a substance called Cosmoline that is a complete pain to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    That's a good job for Simple Green (or any other safe degreaser) and a large paint brush. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then agitate with the brush, and rinse it off. As with all engine bay work, the lower the water pressure, the better.

Feel blessed, BMW's and Mini's a plagued with a substance called Cosmoline that is a complete pain to remove.
    this... or super clean... but that's some strong stuff and if the car is waxed/sealed then you will likely want to re-wax.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune