Good detailer spray?

This is a discussion on Good detailer spray? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking for a really good quick detail spray to use in between waxes. I'm using Meguires quick detailer now, ...

Good detailer spray?

I'm looking for a really good quick detail spray to use in between waxes. I'm using Meguires quick detailer now, and I feel like it doesn't do a great job. I've seen other stuff that really leaves a slick shine in between waxes and that's what I'm looking for.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard good about ice
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Turtlewax/Ice is crap IMO, but so is most of Meg's lineup. My favorite QD (quick detail(er)) is Prima Slick, or Prima Hydro if I'm doing a QD after a wash. After that, Adam's QD comes in a close third. I won't even use Meg's QD as a lubricant for clay...

EDIT: Link. If you're planning on using it after a wash, Prima Hydro is exactly what you are looking for.

So basically hydo is used while your car is still wet and the slick is for a dry car? I think I might go with the slick, since I use a leaf blower to dry most of my car, especially around the grills.

What wax do you use?
    Last edited by ProZach626; 06-20-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Adam's Polishes detail spray is the best stuff i've used. way better than meguires

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    So basically hydo is used while your car is still wet and the slick is for a dry car? I think I might go with the slick, since I use a leaf blower to dry most of my car, especially around the grills.

What wax do you use?
    I describe Hydro as a "wax/sealant extender." It's perfect between wax/sealant work, and makes the car look truly incredible after a wash. With regard to your drying process (which sounds like a good one, BTW), I'd recommend using Hydro while the car is still wet which will allow it to dilute to the correct level and form a good bond. After you've dried 95% of the car, go back and blow out the jambs/cracks/details, using a cloth that has been sprayed once or twice with Hydro. I should be very clear that Hydro is not to be used as a replacement for a true wax or sealant. While it does bead water very well - and indicator of some level of protection - it will not last as long as a good layer of protection.

Wax choice/sealant is completely dependent on a ton of variables, but on my DGM WRX that is a daily driver and parked outside, I'm applying Menzerna Power Lock Sealant after a full detail job. I reapply every 4 months or so, depending on how often I wash and how the water is beading during those washes.

so can I still wipe my windows and everything with the hydro?

I Support ClubWRX
    I use Mothers products.

so can I still wipe my windows and everything with the hydro?
    Yes you can. I'd recommend wiping the windows with a clean microfiber afterwards to make sure there is no streaking - glass is tough to get perfect once you start using products beyond glass cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyd0101 View Post
    Adam's Polishes detail spray is the best stuff i've used. way better than meguires
    There are a lot better products out there besides adam's. Admittedly I don't like them because they are rather shady. You can buy a whole gallon of Optimum no rinse and mix it up to use as a QD, you can also wash the car with it during the winter months. A lot of other companies are also now making rinseless washes now actually.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

+1 for Optimum no-rinse. Most economical and in my opinion, best QD you can buy. You can also buy a version of it that has caranuba wax in it which will offer some protection in between waxes. My personal favorite as a "quick wax" is Optimum Car Wax.

With most of this stuff, you get what you pay for. The stuff you buy over the counter at the local Pep Boys is not even close to the quality of the brands you can go buy on detailing websites like autogeek.net.

My advice is to go buy some Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax and mix your own in a $4 spray bottle you can get from Wal Mart. Higher quality and more cost effective than continuously buying Mother's or Meguiars QD's from Pep Boys.

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone have any more simple solutions?? I'm really looking for a quick spray on after a wash, in between waxes. Like you guys said, better than something at my local auto parts store.

Just wash, spray, wipe. It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than average.

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone have any more simple solutions?? I'm really looking for a quick spray on after a wash, in between waxes. Like you guys said, better than something at my local auto parts store.

Just wash, spray, wipe. It doesn't have to be perfect, just better than average.
    Like I said earlier, it doesn't get simpler than Hydro. You don't even have to dry the car before using it. Just wash, use Hydro as your drying, and you're completely done.