STI- engine washable?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI- engine washable? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; can you spray the engine with water when your cleaning the car? or is this bad for electronics/parts etc? because ...

STI- engine washable?

can you spray the engine with water when your cleaning the car? or is this bad for electronics/parts etc? because its getting a bit dirty but just scared to smash water on it.
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    it'll be fine, just don't get water in the intake.. and I would avoid hitting electronics with a pressure washer

intake?

and would that cause major probs?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gorecki-STI View Post
    intake?

and would that cause major probs?

hydro lock.. blow your engine.. other than that, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    hydro lock.. blow your engine.. other than that, you'll be fine.
    lol how else can I go about cleaning it? its my first car ;P

Quote Originally Posted by gorecki-STI View Post
    lol how else can I go about cleaning it? its my first car ;P

Squirt it with some degreaser where it needs it, and spray with water. Don't spray water INTO your intake, and if you have an exposed air filter, cover it with a plastic bag. You'll be fine.

If you're particularly worried, let it sit over night to dry off after washing.

sweet, will do.

heres a pic of the engine...in case there's anything else I should do before cleaning =]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	114208

Remarkably stock looking.. I see some aftermarket stereo wiring (inline fuse) you might avoid spraying directly with water, but you don't appear to have much too worry about there. I wouldn't even really worry about getting water in the stock intake, unless you intentionally spray it directly into the snorkel it's not going to make it's way to the engine.

Nice looking car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed with mainframe. If you dig around, sasquatch did a nice write up on it. He recommended simple green as a degreaser, I believe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Here is Sasquatch's write up. How to safely clean an engine bay

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles toilet and bath cleaner and just got a good layer of foam on the whole engine, let soak then rinse. I have used Simple Green biodegradable degreaser/solvent and also used Purple Powers with the same technique, and I have used the High pressure hose at the car wash with soap and then rinsed with water letting it spray without the trigger pulled (so the pressure/volume is low).

In my experience (which is admittedly only a little under 3 years with this car) Even if you shot a hose straight up the snorkel I doubt it would do much to the filter. If the snorkus is still there then most of the water will be trapped there and drain out unless you kept filling the intake. The rest might get the filter wet but the intake is designed to do a pretty good job of removing water before the filter. With the snorkus gone the water will simply go into the wheel well and drain out there.

Just make sure it's off and leave it off. The SG or another all purpose cleaner will work fine. I'd get a toothbrush and a mf towel and just wipe it down, that way the engine has less risk of parts getting wet that might be an issue. The best thing to do is keep the hood up and just let it dry for a few hours. You could also get a box fan and let it blow on it for a few hours as well. No problems.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

The best engine wash I have ever done was with my 03 Sentra Spec V.

-Spray a whole can of engine degreaser throughout your engine bay. Let that sit for 5-10 minutes.
    -Hose off the engine degreaser, thoroughly, but carefully.
    -Spray a can of tire shine throughout your engine bay.
    -Wipe EVERYTHING

This made my engine bay look new for a very long time. I let everything for a couple hours, before starting the car, just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Remarkably stock looking.. I see some aftermarket stereo wiring (inline fuse) you might avoid spraying directly with water, but you don't appear to have much too worry about there. I wouldn't even really worry about getting water in the stock intake, unless you intentionally spray it directly into the snorkel it's not going to make it's way to the engine.

Nice looking car.
    yeah thatd be right lol the car came with a dodgy ass sound system put in, which I got set up properly yesterday thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    The best engine wash I have ever done was with my 03 Sentra Spec V.

-Spray a whole can of engine degreaser throughout your engine bay. Let that sit for 5-10 minutes.
    -Hose off the engine degreaser, thoroughly, but carefully.
    -Spray a can of tire shine throughout your engine bay.
    -Wipe EVERYTHING

This made my engine bay look new for a very long time. I let everything for a couple hours, before starting the car, just to be on the safe side.
    Awesome, will give it a go do u recommend any type of degreaser and tire shine? also any differences in driving performance/sound/anything after the clean?

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    Here is Sasquatch's write up. How to safely clean an engine bay

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles toilet and bath cleaner and just got a good layer of foam on the whole engine, let soak then rinse. I have used Simple Green biodegradable degreaser/solvent and also used Purple Powers with the same technique, and I have used the High pressure hose at the car wash with soap and then rinsed with water letting it spray without the trigger pulled (so the pressure/volume is low).

In my experience (which is admittedly only a little under 3 years with this car) Even if you shot a hose straight up the snorkel I doubt it would do much to the filter. If the snorkus is still there then most of the water will be trapped there and drain out unless you kept filling the intake. The rest might get the filter wet but the intake is designed to do a pretty good job of removing water before the filter. With the snorkus gone the water will simply go into the wheel well and drain out there.
    really? scrubbing bubles toilet/bath cleaner work well? and was that a replacement for the degreaser?
    great idea with the hose without pulling the trigger, because even my normal hose at home is too rough I reckon.

so you would recommend simple green or purple powers? I don't care about price

thanks for the good info brotha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast