Meguiar's DA Power System

This is a discussion on Meguiar's DA Power System within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone used this kit? If so what did you like or not like about it? Possibly looking into buying ...

Meguiar's DA Power System

Has anyone used this kit? If so what did you like or not like about it? Possibly looking into buying this kit and was wondering if was a good kit for home use or whether I should just shell out the extra money and get a actual polisher.
    2003 Nissan Sentra GXE (Traded)
    2004 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V (200000 + miles and still kicking)
    2010 Nissan Maxima SV (Traded)
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaholiq View Post
    Has anyone used this kit? If so what did you like or not like about it? Possibly looking into buying this kit and was wondering if was a good kit for home use or whether I should just shell out the extra money and get a actual polisher.
    Just get a Porter Cable orbital or Flex polisher. I don't think the DA kit is going to be fun polishing out a full car with such a small working surface area and awkward hand positioning.

If you didn't buy a DA yet, look into the rupes (I believe that's how it's spelled) polisher.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Go Porter Cable Orbital, you won't regret it.
    - '13 Ice Silver Wrx Hatch
    - '10 Genesis Coupe 2.0T [Sold]

Rupes, flex, etc. are very expensive polishers (350-500.00+). You are better off getting a Griot's Garage 6.5 inch DA and getting some different backing plates and pads. The Griot's is more powerful than the porter cable, about 250 dollars cheaper than a Rupes or Flex (very nice machines though), and comes with a lifetime replacement warranty. For a beginner or hobbyist user, the Griots is all you really need. Spend the money you save on a full supply of different sized pads, different sized backing plates and different polishes/compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlax2485 View Post
    Rupes, flex, etc. are very expensive polishers (350-500.00+). You are better off getting a Griot's Garage 6.5 inch DA and getting some different backing plates and pads. The Griot's is more powerful than the porter cable, about 250 dollars cheaper than a Rupes or Flex (very nice machines though), and comes with a lifetime replacement warranty. For a beginner or hobbyist user, the Griots is all you really need. Spend the money you save on a full supply of different sized pads, different sized backing plates and different polishes/compounds.
    Yep, I have a PC (was my first DA polisher before the XP came out). It's been good to me, but I mainly use it to apply waxes/sealants. The smaller size of the PC with the smaller pads comes in handy though. Either way, I have heard some good things about the GG model. Honestly, there are a lot of guys getting DA polishers from Harbor Freight, but I cannot comment on how well they do or don't work.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I'm going to say one thing and one thing only, polishing typically requires you to change the speed throughout the process. With the meguairs DA system, who knows what speed your corded drill is moving it. It could be moving faster than a typical DA polisher or even slower. You may get decent results but nothing incredible. That system is around 60-80 dollars I believe, plus a corded drill which is around $20-$30. So at the end of the day you could have had a decent porter and cable DA for a couple bucks more. I'm a Detailer I wouldn't suggest it. But if you do get it, do some spot testing in specific areas where you won't see it if you screw up.