Advice on best ways to go about detailing exterior.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Advice on best ways to go about detailing exterior. within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So when it starts getting nicer out I want to clay bar, compound, polish etc. My car could use it. ...

Advice on best ways to go about detailing exterior.

So when it starts getting nicer out I want to clay bar, compound, polish etc. My car could use it. I just heard about Klasse today. I was going to use meguiars products. What do you recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Their are a lot of products out there some good some not. A good product that are cost effective is the mothers brand. I perfer Malco professional products they are more expensive but their worth it. Both interior and exterior products they offer work relly well. I used Mothers products for years until I found Malco .

There is a series of Youtube videos by a guy called OnbooSTi. He is a detailer that filmed a detail on his STi. If you have time (and patience, we are talking about car washing videos here, I got through them because my son was napping and I didn't want to wake the little jerk) he gives solid advice and some tricks of the trade to make stuff a little easier or definitively better finished product. He uses lots of stuff from Detailersdomain so I have no personal experience with his choices. I have been using mothers and Meguiars stuff for years and have no complaints. Mostly because of the price point. I wash my cars once a week and 'pro' stuff doesn't seem to really last any longer than the regular it just seems to cost more. In Oklahoma my car is dirty an hour after I wash it.

Most stuff is just personal preference just be careful with your soap, the de-waxing stuff just means you have to wax again.
    Last edited by Rummie; 03-28-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: I cnat spell
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

Best advice I can offer.

- Never wash in the freezing cold or in direct sun.

- Always make sure your using a clean rag/towel/micro fiber cloth

- Always hand dry your car to eliminate water spots.

- Never wash your car with jewelry on. (Theres a thread on here why you shouldn't)

- Wash top to bottom.

- If you want to get crazy, Jack your car up and take off your wheels and clean them inside out and even get your wheel wells.

- I use 6-8 micro fiber cloths every wash, you can never have too many.

- Always clean off break dust and don't forget your door jams and gas tank opening.

- If your cleaning your engine bay, turn your hose on low pressure and use simple green. Works wonders. (Also a thread on here)

- Best advice I can offer. Then again, after re-reading, most of its common sense. Damn haha
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

good tips^^ i always break my car down into sections when washing it, then fully rinse off before i dry it because the shamy thing i use works better wet
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    good tips^^ i always break my car down into sections when washing it, then fully rinse off before i dry it because the shamy thing i use works better wet
    Another good tip...Do not try and wash the whole entire car at once. You will fail and it will show! haha. Soap stains are just as bad as water spots. Maybe worse?
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

yes lol. also other tips as we've learned. watch where you park, pollen, sap, landscapers, your never safe lol!

i just recently started parking in the parking garage at work. i try to get an end spot in a corner but usually park in the middle of cars with my rear protected by the wall and sides by two cars. figure thats better than parking with rear facing towards the open area. sun does damage over time,, figure theres less wind and safer in the garage. make sure the floor isnt leaking above my car when it rains and im in garage but thats one way i try to be safer lol. and car is garage kept at home to. preserving my bugeye lol
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

One of the greatest things I've bought was a little shop vac to sweep the car out. It does a awesome job and can get into any little crack, especially between the center console and the seats. Highly recommend a small vacuum.
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

i had a rechargeable dust buster that i used for a while but now i steal my moms small oreck lol. it doesnt suck as good as the ones at the car wash but more convienance, free*, dont have to leave home lol
    Marky Mark
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography

Yep, buy a pack of microfiber towels every time you see them and you will eventually have enough to wash a car.

Don't shake out your floor mats upwind... not that I did that yesterday or anything... just saying.

Don't eat yellow snow either.....I've never done that
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Sound advice.

That is all great advice and I do most of it already. What i want to know is what type of products to use when compounding polishing and waxing etc

For wax, I use nothing but the "best"....In my opinion

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...lus-paste-wax/
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I am not sure how crazy you want to get with this, but a few years back, I stepped up to a Porter Cable random orbital polisher and selected various pads, polishes, and sealants. I rarely use the Ultra Cut 105, but the 205 is a great mild polish. Blackfire Wet Diamond (BWD) provides unbelievably depth and it will last a good 6 months. I now follow up with an application of P21S Carnauba Wax over the BWD to provide an extra level of protection and shine. While the "over the counter" detailing products that are readily available can yield good results, I have found that they do not last that long.

I used to do all my car detailing by hand. After using my PC with a higher level of products, the results are far more impressive. Plus, my arm doesn't feel like it wants to fall off by the end of the day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00012-20101207-1846.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	112946
    Ray
    2013 WRX Limited ISM
    2003 WRX Wagon (sold)
    2013 BMW X5 Diesel

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast