Advice on best ways to go about detailing exterior. - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Advice on best ways to go about detailing exterior. within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by michaelwfox You are correct. In my case however it means a complete car re-spray lol. My cars ...

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You are correct. In my case however it means a complete car re-spray lol. My cars previous never waxed it.....not once. He was the original owner...

Both sides of my car are littered with door dings and dupli-color fill ins. The hood looks like it was attacked by a Brillo pad. Also I recently backed into a wall a little and messed up my bumper (pics in my build thread). So yeah, for me it's beyond repair lol.

Anyway, I do like the idea of taking some time and at least trying some of the tips in this thread. It can't hurt right? :-)

P.s - Costco sells 36 packs of microfiber towels for like $18.

I now have 14k miles and I can maybe count the chips on 1 hand... not a single one behind any of the wheels. Opti-coat is a very hard coating. Much of the advice here IMO is not that great and the OP should be very cautious with it. This is NOT at all meant to come across to be a jerk or anything, though I know it will. Like I told the OP though... read that link.
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 03-31-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OP, please read this over before making any decisions. A few things about detailing that might help someone out.

I have always been a fan of Meguiar's products, and do everything by hand. I washed, clay bar'd, and waxed my black 08 4runner today. The paint is smooth as glass and has a mirror finish. Tomorrow it's scuby-do's turn.

*Thinking out loud* To me, there isn't much more relaxing than detailing one of the cars, listening to some breaking benjamin or linkin park while having a beer in the garage with the garage doors open on a sunny 75F day.
    Last edited by Dunckel; 04-01-2013 at 03:37 AM.

I'm a fan of a rotary buffer and Menzerna compounds... they work well for me. But if I need a 'quick' detail, I use a Flex/Porter Cable and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound...

Here's some Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on an oxidized CF hood.

Finished up w/ some Meg's Liquid Wax.
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Dunckel View Post
    I have always been a fan of Meguiar's products, and do everything by hand. I washed, clay bar'd, and waxed my black 08 4runner today. The paint is smooth as glass and has a mirror finish. Tomorrow it's scuby-do's turn.

*Thinking out loud* To me, there isn't much more relaxing than detailing one of the cars, listening to some breaking benjamin or linkin park while having a beer in the garage with the garage doors open on a sunny 75F day.
    That's just it, you're not "detailing" you're simply washing and waxing, and that's great, but most waxes die out within a month. Also, when you clay any car, you are very likely marring the finish which then needs to be polished to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by chutoyy View Post
    I'm a fan of a rotary buffer and Menzerna compounds... they work well for me. But if I need a 'quick' detail, I use a Flex/Porter Cable and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound...

Here's some Menzerna Super Intensive Polish on an oxidized CF hood.

Finished up w/ some Meg's Liquid Wax.
    I don't know if you have looked into the new microfiber pads that are being used with the da polishers, but they are saying it cuts just as fast or faster than a rotary, but without the holograms. A rotary is definitely not a tool for the beginner anyway, although your pics look like your hood came out well, why top it with something like Meg's liquid wax? Pick up some duragloss 105 from your local car place and add about 3 layers. It comes out super glassy. Wait at least 6 hours to recoat though. The Meg's just isn't a durable product.

I usually find a really good deal on living social or group on and call it a day.

Im too lazy.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    I usually find a really good deal on living social or group on and call it a day.

Im too lazy.
    or you can find a good deal having me do it or you can stay and watch and i can wear an elephant trunk speedo thong and wash it. i know how Indians like elephants
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

in4elephantspeedo
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    you can stay and watch and i can wear an elephant trunk speedo thong
    I just threw up in my mouth
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    I just threw up in my mouth
    threw up joy and happiness.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Hand polishing is a total pain in the ass but it turns out pretty nice if you do it right. Jut use some meg's products and it will look great. here's my 13' WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Hard to tell how that looks in your pictures...But I will say. I have done my car by hand before and although it looked really nice, it was no match for a professional detail (which I got this spring). I could not believe my eyes when my car was done. I am lucky and one of my friends does detailing and I was able to hang out and watch. Too bad but the detail still didn't fix the paint chips on the hood!

A good detail should take 10-20 hours with all of the right tools on a newer car, on a car with more flaws it's likely longer depending on the detailer of course... by hand? Well it depends on what you used, but you should post some pics in a dark area with halogens shining on it to see if all of the marring is actually out.

I would advise anyone who needs information on detailing to pay a visit to autogeekonline.net. It is full of good information and there are tons of friendly members who actually happen to be professional detailers. That and Methodical4U's detailing info on this forum was extremely helpful to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.