Help with stock paint film in rear of car

This is a discussion on Help with stock paint film in rear of car within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got the car this week and see that there're a few air bubbles in the paint protection film installed ...

Help with stock paint film in rear of car

Just got the car this week and see that there're a few air bubbles in the paint protection film installed on the rear doors/bottom rear quarter panels. I tried putting pressure on the bubbles but I can't get rid of them. Any suggestions? BTW, do all WRX come this way? Should I just take them off?
    Last edited by Betlog; 02-21-2013 at 08:58 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Help with stock paint film in rear of car

They all come that way, and i wouldn't take it off. One tiny pebble will do much more damage to the already weak paint than a Lil air bubble.
    You could try poking a tiny pinhole in the bubble and then smooth it out.. Or take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.. But i have limited confidence in dealerships repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    They all come that way, and i wouldn't take it off. One tiny pebble will do much more damage to the already weak paint than a Lil air bubble.
    You could try poking a tiny pinhole in the bubble and then smooth it out.. Or take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.. But i have limited confidence in dealerships repairs.
    Thanks. I'll try your tip of puncturing the bubble. So, all WRX come with the film, or do all WRX come with the film and have bubbles?

Quote Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
    Thanks. I'll try your tip of puncturing the bubble. So, all WRX come with the film, or do all WRX come with the film and have bubbles?
    Mine has the film, but no bubbles.

Re: Help with stock paint film in rear of car

I don't have any bubbles that I've noticed.. My wife has a bubble on her outback.. But there is some dust under it so it won't go away.

pics?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    pics?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	112105
    See attached.

I'm thinking of just peeling one of the corners and reapplying that section. Is that a bad idea? If this is something similar to clear bra, I'm guessing I can spray water+alcohol to make the film adhere. Thoughts?

Thats ridiucluous, Take it to the dealer and make them fix it.

I'm thinking of just peeling one of the corners and reapplying that section. Is that a bad idea? If this is something similar to clear bra, I'm guessing I can spray water+alcohol to make the film adhere. Thoughts?
    Bad idea, trust me. The film will show stretch marks and not adhere nearly as well as when installed. You should try poking a hole with a razor or a needle to bleed the air. Your dealer may fix it for free, so I'd start there first then move to a shop if they're going to charge you for it. Any clear bra shop would be able to replace it.

Ok. So I punctured the bubble with a needle and got the air out. However, it does have the stretch marks in that area so it's not the best looking. But I can probably live with that. Does anyone know when Subaru started including these paint films in the widebody STI and WRX? Ever since the body design first came out for the STI back in 2008?

^^ your handle cracked me up. lol

mine has them bubbles but they don't bother me much.

Quote Originally Posted by peekeesh View Post
    ^^ your handle cracked me up. lol

mine has them bubbles but they don't bother me much.
    lol.