opti-coat fail or win?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on opti-coat fail or win? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys today i got my opticoat 2.0 kit so i decided to polished the car with optimium polish with ...

opti-coat fail or win?

hey guys
    today i got my opticoat 2.0 kit so i decided to polished the car with optimium polish with an orbital polisher. i wiped it down with a clean mircofiber cloth. i then got a bottle and diluted the **** out of the iso alcohol and sprayed the car down with that and wiped her clean. i then used the opticoat and i noticed that i wiped the car with the pad wait a few minutes and noticed that it streaked. i proceeded to wipe her down with the softer side of the cloth that was provided by opti-coat.
    did i do it right or did i **** it all up and i'll have to do it again?
    also i did this in about 34 degree weather......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so the streaks are still there?
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

nope i wiped the streaks off with the cloth that was supplied
    i just wanted to know if i did it right or wrong

Quote Originally Posted by jling0311 View Post
    nope i wiped the streaks off with the cloth that was supplied
    i just wanted to know if i did it right or wrong
    It depends on how long it has been sitting for. If it felt tacky when it was coming off, then you did it right.

yup it felt a lil tacky when i was wiping it down thanks

yup it felt a lil tacky when i was wiping it down thanks
    Then it sounds like it was done correctly... there isn't much of an art to putting this stuff on. It's all about the prep work. A good finish before it goes on and it will look great, average will look average, it's clear and unlike some waxes.. it won't hide scratches and swirls, but the hardness of the stuff is hard to match and the durability has yet to be.

Did you say you polished with an orbital buffer? what kind do you have? You wont be able to actually polish or correct paint with the $30 ones you can get at pep boys- they're more for spreading wax than anything else.

yup cheap 30 dollar one

yup cheap 30 dollar one
    He's right... that's not going to polish your paint... not nearly enough power among other things. I suppose as long as the paint looks ok underneath the OC you'll be ok

well the cars only 2 months old.....

well the cars only 2 months old.....
    That doesn't matter. A car can come from the dealer with more marring and imperfections than you realize. If you only care if the car is coated properly then it sounds like you did it right, if it beads and sheds water well, that's another sign it is coated right. I wouldn't be surprised if you pull it under some bright lights to find a lot of marring without buffing it out first though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.