Fix for scratch on the hood

This is a discussion on Fix for scratch on the hood within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; On christmas eve I was driving home and a plow truck on the other side of the street sprayed rocks ...

On christmas eve I was driving home and a plow truck on the other side of the street sprayed rocks onto my car as he was going by, I was livid because it was my first scratch on the car and he also cracked my windshield. I was wondering if the touch up paint from subaru could fix the scratches on my hood or would I have to repaint the whole hood to blend it. I know its not a huge scratch but I look at it every time i go to get into my car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121226_142934.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	111075

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does it go down to the metal? If so, the touch up paint is going to just keep coming off unless you sand/prime and then paint. Even then it won't look perfect unless you get the whole hood redone. It is important to get it covered up with something though (touch up paint is a good temporary solution) so it does not start to rust...that is if it is down to the metal, which I am sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Does it go down to the metal? If so, the touch up paint is going to just keep coming off unless you sand/prime and then paint. Even then it won't look perfect unless you get the whole hood redone. It is important to get it covered up with something though (touch up paint is a good temporary solution) so it does not start to rust...that is if it is down to the metal, which I am sure it is.
    Good reply. The man basically said it all.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah I think its down to the metal, I can see the layers of paint that were taken off, to repaint the hood is gonna be a ton of money. For right now I might just do the touch up paint as a band aid until I figure what im gonna do.

Look at it this way: your car is now properly christened, deflowered, and introduced to the real world. The next scratch or ding will not hurt anywhere as bad.
    And yes, you want to put a bit of touch-up on it, if only to seal the metal.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I thought subaru sells an exact color match touch up paint? Or is this better?

The difference is that with a brush on touch up paint you are left with a raised "blob" of paint.
    The Dr. Colorchip system leaves the surface smooth. In my experience, it does a good job on small chips and scratches. Not perfect....up close you can see it, but from a few feet away you can't.
    Take a look at this: How It Works: Simple 2-step touch up paint kit repair - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    isn't the hood on these cars aluminum? If so then rust isn't a concern. Either way i'd clean the whole area with alcohol several times to make sure ALL wax is off of the car and at that point, I would take a toothpick and fill it in a little bit at a time until it builds up a little above the paint... sand it with some 1500 grit very lightly and then buff it. If it's done right you would have to inspect the hood very close up to even notice it.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX

The older cars had Al and so they would not "rust" like steel. The newer cars do not though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hmm Ill definitely try this, hopefully I have some luck with this. And this may be a stupid question but what kind of alcohol do you mean..rubbing alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Colinz89 View Post
    Hmm Ill definitely try this, hopefully I have some luck with this. And this may be a stupid question but what kind of alcohol do you mean..rubbing alcohol?
    Yes, mix it with some water and a little dawn dish soap to make sure all of the wax is cut off.. you could even let it sit on there for a while. I'd do it several times though, just to make sure.

I cleaned it just the way you said too do it, and when I went to paint it I failed miserably lol. It was about 50 degrees out and a bit windy. The paint dried so quick and started to clump, luckily I got most of it off quickly enough . The one good thing is that there's a base layer of silver on there now thats covering up the metal so thats good.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinz89 View Post
    I cleaned it just the way you said too do it, and when I went to paint it I failed miserably lol. It was about 50 degrees out and a bit windy. The paint dried so quick and started to clump, luckily I got most of it off quickly enough . The one good thing is that there's a base layer of silver on there now thats covering up the metal so thats good.
    let it set up for a few days or so and clay the hood to get rid of the overspray. If it doesn't feel to bad over the scratch either buff it or take it to someone and get it buffed over slightly to see if it blends the 2 a little better. Without pics it's hard to tell.