Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fix for scratch on the hood

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Methodical4u 
#1 ·
On christmas eve I was driving home and a plow truck on the other side of the street sprayed rocks onto my car as he was going by, I was livid because it was my first scratch on the car and he also cracked my windshield. I was wondering if the touch up paint from subaru could fix the scratches on my hood or would I have to repaint the whole hood to blend it. I know its not a huge scratch but I look at it every time i go to get into my car.

White Black Black-and-white Sky Line

See less See more
#2 ·
Does it go down to the metal? If so, the touch up paint is going to just keep coming off unless you sand/prime and then paint. Even then it won't look perfect unless you get the whole hood redone. It is important to get it covered up with something though (touch up paint is a good temporary solution) so it does not start to rust...that is if it is down to the metal, which I am sure it is.

#5 ·
Look at it this way: your car is now properly christened, deflowered, and introduced to the real world. The next scratch or ding will not hurt anywhere as bad.
And yes, you want to put a bit of touch-up on it, if only to seal the metal.

#8 ·
#13 ·
I cleaned it just the way you said too do it, and when I went to paint it I failed miserably lol. It was about 50 degrees out and a bit windy. The paint dried so quick and started to clump, luckily I got most of it off quickly enough . The one good thing is that there's a base layer of silver on there now thats covering up the metal so thats good.

#14 ·
let it set up for a few days or so and clay the hood to get rid of the overspray. If it doesn't feel to bad over the scratch either buff it or take it to someone and get it buffed over slightly to see if it blends the 2 a little better. Without pics it's hard to tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.