Attention detailing gurus!

This is a discussion on Attention detailing gurus! within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I ordered a 2013 SWP WRX hatch last month, and in preparation for her arrival, I picked up ...

Attention detailing gurus!

Hi all,

I ordered a 2013 SWP WRX hatch last month, and in preparation for her arrival, I picked up a few things from autogeek.net:

1. Griot's Garage 6-inch DA polisher w/ white, blue, and orange CCS pads (came with the kit)
    2. Opti-coat 2.0
    3. pinnacle clay kit
    4. Optimum finish polish
    5. Optimum no-rinse wash
    6. Optimum polish-II
    7. Pad cleaner and pad conditioner
    8. Chemical guy's citrus wash (BOGO)
    9. Iron-X
    10. A bunch of microfiber towels in bulk

My plan of attack once she arrives is to wash her with optimum no-rinse, spray w/ Iron-X, clay where necessary, hit it with optimum finish polish if the paint is in good shape, and put down a layer of opti-coat 2.0.

My question is- I have heard that the subaru clear coat is REALLY soft. In your experience, what pad would go well with the finish polish to remove any light defects and jewel the paint in preparation of the Opti-coat 2.0 application? I dont want to use too-aggressive of a pad and mar the paint, adding an additional step to the process.

Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you are going to jewel the paint, make sure you get the best towels out there. A standard MF towel will marr jeweled paint.

The clear isn't really soft so much as it is thin IMO. I used meg's pads, but I would go with a lighter pad. Yellow pads have the most cut. The orange pad is a good all around pad, then you can go up from there. I would do a light orange pad polishing with the heavier grit, and then use the next one up with the lighter cut. Maybe even the next pad above that if you really wanted to do.

Here's some of the pads I use.. http://www.detailersdomain.com/5-Pac...nch_p_297.html
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

By the way, I have started now polishing and doing the work, adding the OC, letting it dry about 3 hours and then adding a second layer. You can layer the newer OC ver.2 up to 30 days after the first application. Makes for a nice hard and thick finish.

I will definitely layer it on, thanks for the advice. I have a few cobra MF towels I received that will work great for jeweling the paint.

How many pads do you go through when performing a one or two step correction? Just curious to see how many pads I will need for my DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlax2485 View Post
    I will definitely layer it on, thanks for the advice. I have a few cobra MF towels I received that will work great for jeweling the paint.

How many pads do you go through when performing a one or two step correction? Just curious to see how many pads I will need for my DA.
    I would say you really only need 2 of each, but get some sort of brush to clean the pad every few passes, maybe even a hard bristle tooth brush would work I think.