Any 5 door owners use auto touch car wash?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any 5 door owners use auto touch car wash? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know the usual arguments against auto car washes and I'm ok with them. I've always used them. What I'm ...

Any 5 door owners use auto touch car wash?

I know the usual arguments against auto car washes and I'm ok with them. I've always used them. What I'm worried about are the antenna (can remove easily) and the rear wiper. The car wash i normally use has the side and top spinning vinyl brushes. I tried whats supposed to be a good touchless wash but it completely missed the rear of the car. What are your experiences?
    2013 DGM Hatch WRX - STI STS currently only mod

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That if you use them you are foolish. The material that the brushes are made of will mar the hell out of your paint, not to mention the dirt that gets trapped in it is also sanding your paint for your at the same time. This doesn't really belong in the detail section. This area is for actual proper cleaning of your car.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

Re: Any 5 door owners use auto touch car wash?

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    That if you use them you are foolish. The material that the brushes are made of will mar the hell out of your paint, not to mention the dirt that gets trapped in it is also sanding your paint for your at the same time. This doesn't really belong in the detail section. This area is for actual proper cleaning of your car.
    ^^^^this.
    But to answer the original question the auto washes don't really work on the 5 door because of the spoiler sheilds the ass end off the car. Therefore not allowing the brushes to do the hatch door

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

So you guys just run dirty cars in the winter or tough it out and wash it manually even when it's cold?

Re: Any 5 door owners use auto touch car wash?

Quote Originally Posted by crash55 View Post
    So you guys just run dirty cars in the winter or tough it out and wash it manually even when it's cold?
    Now that I'm in Va it doesn't get that cold. And when I was in Maine and Alaska there were heated bays you could wash your own car in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

Just my opinion but i would use the touchless. Even if it doesnt get your back that good. Most important part in the winter is just getting the cars as clean as possible just to get the main of the dirt and salt off and to get underneath the car clean and salt free! I usually dont worry about super detailing my cars until the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Just my opinion but i would use the touchless. Even if it doesnt get your back that good. Most important part in the winter is just getting the cars as clean as possible just to get the main of the dirt and salt off and to get underneath the car clean and salt free! I usually dont worry about super detailing my cars until the summer!
    That's fair. I wonder if there's a quick way to clean the back yourself that is about equal to the touchless auto car wash? Something I can do with the hose? Maybe a sprayer attachment that uses soap? Sorry. Not very experienced in detailing as I've always been an automatic car wash guy.

If its only the back and you really want it clean just wash it with your hose at the house. Just make sure you keep the hose in side cause it will freeze outside.

it's winter... it just gets nasty out. Of course we're both in Md so you and I know the winters here are hit or miss every year. Where I am it hardly rains at all. I'm assuming you do not have a garage? I actually wash my car in the garage honestly. I just use a little bit of pressure so the water doesn't go everywhere.

If you are not able to at least get to water to use a hose then I would recommend one of the no rinse washes. Optimum no rinse is the one I have, but there are several out there. I only went with them because the reviews are all excellent. You need 2 buckets, 1 will have the no rinse in it and the other is just clean water to rinse out your sponge. It sounds like it would put the dirt back onto the finish and mar it also, but it has a lot of slickness that helps to avoid that. I would also go to Lowes and by a grout sponge, have a drying towel (good one). There's a bunch of videos on youtube, but basically you use no pressure, just go over the car 1 panel at a time... maybe do each one twice to ensure it's clean and then you dry it. That's it. That way you can also use warm water out of your sink, but don't use hot just in case your glass goes pop on really cold days.

Thanks methodical. That seems like a solid suggestion.

I tough it out and give my car a weekly car wash. I look at the forecast and try to find the best suited day (not freezing and not incredibly sunny). I hate having a dirty car and with SWP, its clean or bust! Of course salt won't show but dirt sure does!
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    I wash my car weekly. I dont care if its cold, windy or rainy. thats right folks...i wash her up in the rain.

the filth must be removed weekly...especially in the winter...or else it leaves cancerous stains on the sensitive subie paint.

I use a touchless car wash and don't get anymore scratches than if I washed it myself. Under no circumstances will I use a cloth or brush automatic car wash. These scratch the hell out of your car. When I get home I re-dry the car with a damp cloth sprayed with a detail type spray wax.

I started using a auto wash that is touch free just to prevent swirl marks from happening. I used a microfiber towel to dry my car in one direction it still got minor swirl marks. Now I just let the dryer dry it and what does not get completely dry during the drying process will dry on the way home. Yeah I know there is a proper technique to use to dry a car properly without getting swirl marks. Which is to dry in one direction and make sure not to dry the car %100 :P I've noticed good results with the touch free auto washes. But then again I only have used one cuz it works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    I started using a auto wash that is touch free just to prevent swirl marks from happening. I used a microfiber towel to dry my car in one direction it still got minor swirl marks. Now I just let the dryer dry it and what does not get completely dry during the drying process will dry on the way home. Yeah I know there is a proper technique to use to dry a car properly without getting swirl marks. Which is to dry in one direction and make sure not to dry the car %100 :P I've noticed good results with the touch free auto washes. But then again I only have used one cuz it works really well.
    Some people used a patting type method where you wouldn't rub the paint at all. I don't have that problem with opti-coat though. The look isn't quite as good as some of the waxes and sealants I use on my Wife's accord, but the hardness of opticoat makes life a lot easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast